The Jökulsárlón lagoon is a natural wonder of Iceland that produces a feeling of incredible tranquillity and a sight that you must not miss. Watch as 1000-1500 year old icebergs silently drift into the lake and slowly melt away. The lagoon covers 18 square kilometres and reaches more than 248 metres at its deepest point. You may recognize it from scenes in Batman Begins, Tomb Raider and two James Bond movies.
As part of this tour, you will also stop at the gorgeous Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss waterfalls. Seljalandsfoss is part of the Seljandsá river which has its origins in the Eyjafjallajökull glacier. What makes Seljalandsfoss so famous and interesting is that you can walk behind it. It is recommended that you bring either a raincoat or a waterproof coat along if you want to try this unique experience.
Skógafoss, another famous Icelandic waterfall, is the starting point of the Fimmvörðuháls walk over to Þórsmörk. This waterfall was featured in the films Thor: The Dark World and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. On the way back, you will stop at Vík í Mýrdal where you can have dinner at leisure. While there you can walk to the black sand beach to see the Reynisdrangar rock formations.
What you will see along the way (weather permitting):
- Volcanoes: Hekla, Eyjafjallajökull, Westman Islands, Katla and Öræfajökull
- Glaciers: Langjökull, Mýrdalsjökull, Vatnajökull and several glacier snouts
- Waterfalls: Skógafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Systrafoss, Foss á Síðu and several others
- Sandy plains: Skógasandur, Sólheimasandur, Mýrdalssandur, Skeiðarársandur and Breiðamerkursandur
- Coastlines: In Vik, at jökulsá - the diamond beach and view towards south coast in several places
- Fertile farmland and mossy lava fields