Umberto Cesari is a member of The Grand Wine Tour: an Association of the finest wineries across Italy offering exclusive wine tastings, boutique hotels, Michelin-starred restaurants & unique activities dedicated to wine lovers and a luxury clientele. TGWT Mark of Excellence is the very first Italian certification of quality distinguishing high standards in wine tourism hospitality.
Located in Castel San Pietro Terme, among the hills that dominate the landscape of the ancient Via Emilia on the border between Emilia and Romagna, this winery was founded in the early ’60s by Umberto Cesari and his wife Giuliana. From the very beginning, Cesari believed strongly in the power of the land, capable of producing extraordinary grapes and excellent wines, on par with the most notable Italian red wines. Therefore, he worked to enhance and promote the potential he saw in this land. As one of the first winemakers in Emilia Romagna to believe in the potential of the Sangiovese grape, Cesari committed himself to this grape and so successfully imparted a productive philosophy that today he is today “Ambasciatore del Sangiovese” (Ambassador to the Sangiovese).
Today, the winery extends over nearly 175 hectares of land and includes 6 vineyards - Casetta, Parolino, Ca' Grande, Laurento, Liano and Tauleto - that spread among the hills that lead towards Tuscany. They are protected by a crown of badlands called the Blue Badlands because of the color that their slopes take on sunny days.
Umberto Cesari boasts a partnership with local notable companies including Ferrari and Lamborghini, both of which have chosen to serve Cesari wine at important events.
On this tasting experience, you will have the opportunity to choose from the following options:
This tour features a brief walk in the vineyards, a guided tour of the winery, and the ageing cellar where you will enjoy an illustrated explanation of how Umberto Cesari wine is made. You will then enjoy a tasting of three wines in the wine shop.
- Cà Grande Romagna DOC Sangiovese Superiore paired with a mousse of Mortadella Palmieri served with different kinds of bread
- Laurento Romagna DOC Sangiovese Riserva paired with “pink” salame, served with black bread, tangerine marmelade and Caciotta di Monte San Pietro cheese
- Resultum Sangiovese Rubicone IGT paired with a special selection of Pecorino cheese (Pecorino Gran Cru di Grotta di Brisighella) and a bittersweet artisanal chocolate waffle
This tour features a brief walk in the vineyards, a guided tour of the winery, and of ageing cellar where you will enjoy an illustrated explanation of how Umberto Cesari wine is made. You will then enjoy a tasting of four wines in the wine shop.
- Liano Chardonnay Sauvignon Blanc Rubicone IGT paired with Prosciutto di Parma DOP (aged 18 months), Squacquerone di Romagna DOP cheese, caramalized figs, and classic white bread
- Liano Sangiovese Cabernet Sauvignon Rubicone IGT paired with a potato and Parmigiano Reggiano (aged over 30 months) flan and our Balsamic Vinegar (Aceto Balsamico di Modena IGP)
- Tauleto Sangiovese Rubicone IGT paired with a potato and Parmigiano Reggiano (aged over 30 months) flan and our Balsamic Vinegar (Aceto Balsamico di Modena IGP)
- Resultum Sangiovese Rubicone IGT paired with with a special selection of Pecorino cheese (Pecorino Gran Cru di Grotta di Brisighella) and a bittersweet artisanal chocolate waffle