Istanbul Night Tasting Trail
- Eat delicious Turkish street food from the best food carts, street cafés, and other secret spots
- Visit a traditional tavern, known as a meyhane, and sample raki
- Hang out with locals and enjoy a Turkish coffee in a backstreet café
- Stroll through hidden alleyways and learn about Istanbul's food culture
A short journey from Karaköy on the world’s second oldest funicular will take you to the heart of Istanbul’s food scene on this culinary city tour, where you’ll wander through back streets and hidden passages, feasting as you go. Your local guide will offer insight into the intricacies and traditions of Turkish food culture and explain about the ingredients and origins of Turkey’s most popular dishes.
Start your Istanbul food tour with some borek, a delicious flaky pastry consisting of several thin layers filled with local cheeses, potato or meat. Wash it down with a cup of ayran, a yogurt drink that’s considered by many to be the national beverage of Turkey. Next, you’ll take part in a true local tradition; at the end of a long work day, many Istanbulites sit down for some drinks, tasty food, and good conversation with friends. Grab a seat at a traditional meyhene (tavern) and join the local scene as we sample meze served with a glass of raki, and learn about the fascinating history of these Turkish restaurants and dishes.
Filled up with snacks, you’ll stop at a hidden tea house that’s also the famous meeting place of the Young Turks, a political reform movement from the early 20th century that brought multi-party democracy to Turkey. Hungry from all that discussion? Fill yourself up again with delectable treats from locals’ favorite street food carts, including içli kofte (deep-fried meat balls) and midye dolma (mussels stuffed with rice). Next, you’ll cleanse the palate with a sample of Turkish delight in the gorgeous, historic Cicek Passage, before grabbing some of Turkey’s famed baklava and çikolata (chocolate) or ice cream from Maraş.
Of course, you can’t visit Istanbul without stopping at the famed entertainment district of Taksim Square, where late-night revellers flock for the delicious Islik Burger — guaranteed to defeat any remaining hunger! Stroll the atmospheric backstreets and finish at an alfresco café and bar that’s a popular local haunt with awesome street art and graffiti. Linger here as long as you like and soak up the nighttime vibes of Istanbul!
- Local English-speaking guide
- Progressive dinner
- Tea and coffee
- Extra drinks
- Tips or gratuities for your local guide
- Children under 12 years of age are not permitted to join this tour
The Tünel (The Tunnel) entrance, IETT building in Karaköy
Opposite Nordstern Hotel
- Please note: children under 12 years of age are not permitted to join this tour
- Please be aware that the standard of dress through out Turkey is conservative. To respect this and for your own comfort, please wear modest clothing. This means clothing that covers your shoulders and knees for both women and men.
- Following recent safety incidents, we recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on traveling in Turkey before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page.
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays at 6.00pm
Discover Istanbul and its fascinating ottoman relics with this half-day afternoon tour. The tour wil...
Try Turkish life with a family meal and an evening mingling with locals at some of their favorite pl...
Get the most out of Istanbul in the company of an expert local guide. As you tour Istanbul, your gui...
This will not only be a culinary walk but also a stroll through the city’s Asian side to discover it...
During this half-day tour, you will explore the wonders of this historic city with your expert guide...
During This tour is a half-day afternoon walking tour, you will discover the beauty of Istanbul thro...