Metropolitan Museum of Art three-hour extended tour
- Expert guide, highlights + selected fascinating less-visited pieces
- Ancient Egyptian tomb models, Vermeer, Van Gogh, Madame X...
- Visit to the Met rooftop garden for spectacular views over Central Park
- Pre-reserved tickets included: no waste of time waiting in line
You may have seen New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art before, but you've never seen it like this. Travel through 6,000 years and across the globe in just a few hours, to gain a greater understanding of the length and breadth of this world-class collection. In small groups of 15 people or fewer, you’ll delve into the history and art of the Met, seeing works come to life through the stories of your expert guide.
We start our tour in the ancient world, with a visit to Ancient Egyptian tomb models. Incredibly well preserved, these pieces were a more important discovery than they seem, as they offered pictorial insight into what life in Ancient Egypt was like. This insight continues at the incredible Temple of Dendur, fully intact and surreally displayed inside a naturally lit atrium, nestled in Central Park.
Our world tour returns to New York for stained glass by Tiffany and then hops over to Britain to size up the armor of notorious King Henry VIII. We then head east for the Antioch Chalice, believed by some to be the Holy Grail itself, the cup from which Jesus drank on the night he was betrayed. Believe the story? You’ll have time to debate its merits with your expert guide. For historians our next few stops are a true delight – the Greek and Roman wing contain elegant statues, imperial Roman busts, and intact frescos buried along with those at Pompeii.
Off to exotic Oceania to see boldly carved Bisj poles from Papua New Guinea, for which a Rockefeller gave his life. We’ll then move to the second floor to admire Water Lilies by Monet, a Thinker by Rodin, and the swirling strokes of Van Gogh.
It’s break time inside the museum or atop the MET rooftop garden (May-October only, weather permitting) for verdant vistas of Central Park.
If you’ve booked the extended version, the tour continues to the Golden Age of Dutch painting, perusing portraits by Rembrandt and marveling at the virtuosity of Vermeer. After a brief passage through Italy, it’s off to Spain to see El Greco and to France for Jacques-Louis David’s famous Death of Socrates.
A little scandal is in store, as your guide gives the inside story of John Singer Sargent’s infamous Madame X. You’ll then be dwarfed by the immense iconic Washington Crossing the Delaware – one of the most recognized paintings in the United States.
Besides from what’s listed here, you’ll see little surprises and quirks of the collection as you tour. Our small group and expert guides will allow you to ask questions, be engaged, and take the most from your Met experience!
- Pre-arranged Met Museum tickets, with donation included
- Expert local tour guide
- Gratuities for guide
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Infants (0-3): free (no reservation required)
- Children (4-11): reduced price
New York, NY 10028, USA
Main lobby of the Metropolitan Museum, at the statue of the Pharaoh, on your right upon entering Directions:
ARRIVING BY TAXI: Most cab drivers will know the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The exact address to tell a cab driver is East 82nd Street and 5th Avenue.
ARRIVING BY SUBWAY: 4,5,6 (green line) to 86th Street station. Upon exiting the station, walk west to 5th avenue (which borders Central Park), then walk south until the main entrance.
- Please remember to arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of your tour.
- The rooftop garden is only accessible for the months May through October. During these months, for reasons of safety, the rooftop garden is closed for inclement weather.
- A coat and bag check is available during the colder months. If you would like to check something, allow a little extra time before and after the tour to do so.
- Food and drink cannot be brought into the Museum and may not be checked at the coat checks. However, water in plastic bottles are permitted
- All of the pieces listed in the tour description are viewable the vast majority of the time. However, the MET, like nearly all great museums, occasionally allows certain works to travel in temporary exhibitions or be lent to other institutions. The MET also allows private parties to book out certain rooms for events (most commonly the Temple of Dendur), rendering them inaccessible for the duration of the event. If one of the listed pieces is unable to be viewed, the guide, at their discretion, will substitute another piece of important value.
- Non-flash photography is allowed. However, flash photography and video cameras cannot be used inside the Museum. Selfie sticks are also prohibited.
- The museum is fully wheelchair accessible. However, if you cannot climb the stairs of the central entrance to reach the meeting point, there is a ground level entrance one block south, near the intersection of 81st street and 5th avenue. Tell the desk you need to use the elevator to meet a group in the main lobby (at pharaoh statue), which will then secure your entrance ticket. They will provide you with a temporary pass and help direct you upstairs.
- Tour in English only.
MONDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY:
- Meeting Time: 10:30am
- Departure Time: 10:45am
- Meeting Time: 2:45pm
- Departure Time: 3:00pm
Le Metropolitan Museum of Art est l'un des meilleurs musées d'art au monde exposant des œuvres prove...
Visitez le 9/11 Memorial en compagnie d'un guide local et entrez dans le Musée pour une visite solen...
Quartier abritant deux des sites les plus importants de la ville de New York, la Statue de la Libert...
Rencontrez la dame la plus célèbre de NYC de près et en personne sur notre tour Statue of Liberty Ea...
Aucune visite à New York n'est vraiment complète sans une visite de l’émouvant Mémorial du 11-Septem...
Les plus belles attractions de Lower Manhattan sont réunies dans cette excursion d'une journée en co...
Billet Standard - avec cette option, vous pourrez éviter la file d'attente du guichet. En fonction d...
Pour les amateurs de Broadway et les fans de Disney, il n'y a pas de meilleure expérience que cette ...
Découvrez les lumières de la grande ville lors de cette visite guidée du soir à bord d'un bus à impé...
Découvrez les délicieuses boutiques familiales et restaurants de Brooklyn pour découvrir comment la ...