Tour of Hadrian's Wall
- Explore Hadrian’s Wall, a UNESCO world heritage site and the frontier of the Roman Empire
- Visit Housesteads and Vindolanda, and discover the varied lives of the troops stationed on the wall
- Enjoy a long walk in the middle of the beautiful wild landscapes that surround the wall
Hadrian’s Wall is a UNESCO world heritage site and the frontier of the Roman Empire. Join the day-long excursion and discover the varied lives lead by of the troops here stationed.
Starting at Steel Rig you will walk the two and a half miles to the Roman fort of Housesteads. This walk will give you the chance to see the wall, discover its milecastles and see the wild geography of the frontier. Housesteads is the most complete of the Roman forts in Britain and gives you a fantastic view of Roman life on Hadrian’s wall. During the Roman period, it was called Vercovicium and was fortified by Germanic troops from Belgium and the Netherlands. After visiting the fort you will stop for lunch at the Twice Brewed Inn. You will then proceed to Vindolanda, a Roman supply base that has been extensively excavated providing us with in-depth information on the people who lived on the wall. This tour is great for those who love history, wish to discover more about the Romans and enjoy country walks.
- Day excurtion
- Accomodation pick up
Children (0-17): reduced
You will be picked up from your accommodation.
- The terrain of Hadrian’s wall can be steep and uneven this tour may be unsuitable for those who are recovering from injuries or do not feel comfortable on long distance walks
- All weather clothing and walking shoes will be required
- Please make sure to select the correct price, depending on your group size: select for all your tickets the "small group" price tag if you are booking 1 to 7 tickets, or the "large group" price tag if you are booking 8 to 12 tickets.
- When booking, please let us know if any children under 16 years of age will be participating in the tour
The pick-up time will be communicated to you after booking.
In only an hour your guide will help you to scratch beneath the surface of the northern city to disc...
Newcastle’s Quayside and the River Tyne are inseparable when telling the story of the city: this tou...
Follow your guide down Grey Street for a chilling introduction to Newcastle, Necromancers, Explosion...
Immerse yourself in Newcastle’s rich past and handsome architecture on a 2-hour walking tour around ...
Hadrian’s Wall, the UNESCO world heritage site, was the frontier of the Roman Empire. The frontier e...
Ann Cleeves’ brilliant and no-nonsense DCI Vera Stanhope (Actress Brenda Blethyn) in her trademark m...