This tour consists in a marvellous walk around of the ancient Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum, buried from the ashes of the volcano Vesuvius in 79 a. D. In 4 hours I'll be able to show you most of the highlights!
A walk in Pompeii is a very intense experience; you'll have the feeling of wandering in a still alive town. I will explain you the history of the town and how the Romans lived showing you all the most important public buildings and private houses.
Herculaneum is much smaller but better preserved. While Pompeii was covered in four/five meters of ashes, a 20 meters thick avalanche of muds buried Herculaneum. It is still possible to see second stories, carbonized wooden objects, intact paintings and mosaics. With my explanation I'll make the city come to life.
- Meeting at the main entrance of Pompeii called Porta Marina Superiore
- Pompeii: This 2-hour tour of Pompeii allows you to see all details of the western part of the ancient town, where the most important public buildings, homes and shops are located.
- Highlights: the Marina Gate, the Basilica (court house), the Forum (main square), the Forum baths, the Lupanar (brothel), the bakery, the house of Faun, the Termopolium Capuano, the House of Tragic Poet, the plaster casts.
- Free time or 1 hour stop for a lunch in one of the snack bars, restaurants, or pizzerias nearby the ruins.
- Transfer to Herculaneum by the circumvsuviana train
- Herculaneum: a wonderful 2-hour walk in the city of Herculaneum. Here you will see the Temple of the Augustali, the beach where more than 300 skeletons were found, the thermal baths, the forum, the house of Neptune and Amphitrite, the Samnite house, the gymnasium, the house of the Dears and much more.