Christian Churches and Basilicas 3-hour tour
- Explore the most important Christian basilicas of Rome
- Go to the Baptistery of St. John to admire its octagonal form
- Marvel at the mosaics of the Basilica of Saint Clemente
- See the tallest standing obelisk in the world
- Discover the Holy Stairs where Christ walked while on trial
Learn about the rise of Christianity in Rome on a fully guided tour of some of the Christian basilicas of the city, starting at the papal Archbasilica of St. John Lateran. The original adjoining palace was the first official papal residence until the papacy moved to Avignon in 1309. Outside is the world’s largest standing obelisk, while the remains of the Holy Stairs are said to be where Christ climbed at his trial.
Continue to the Baptistery of St. John, founded by Pope Sixtus III in 440 and now restored to its former glory. Admire the octagonal form, centered on a large octagonal basin, and marvel at the 5th-century mosaics in the chapel.
Walk along the Via San Giovanni in Laterano to the Basilica of Saint Clemente. The unique church has a mosaic in the apse and extremely costly marble laid on the floor by the artist Cosmati. The remains of the previous church can now be visited to appreciate its changes over the centuries.
Your next stop is St. Peter in Chains (San Pietro in Vincoli), named after the saint who was chained up and imprisoned by Leo the Great. End your tour at the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, one of the 7 Pilgrim Churches of Rome. Once inside, your guide will tell the full story of this important monument and its mosaics, Cappella Sistina, and Cappella Paolina.
- Guide tour
- Headsets for 7 people
- Entrance fees (for San Clemente Church €10,00)
- Pick-up and drop off
- Food and drinks
- Youth (18-25): reduced
- Child (7-17): reduced
Via Magnagrecia, Roma, RM, Italia
Meet your guide at the metro station San Giovanni, in front of the Coin shopping center.
- This tour operates with a maximum of 20 participants.
- Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour start
- Good walking shoes are suggested. Bring a rain coat and/or umbrella in Winter. In the Summer, sun lotion is recommended, as well as an umbrella for shade, and drinking water or other energy drink. Vatican dress code
- Free cancellation is available 72 hours before the tour starts. Cancellations made less than 24 hours before the tour start time will not be refunded
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- At 03.00pm
A licensed guide will take you to the front of the line to enjoy fast track entry to Hadrian’s cylin...
Travel back in time and explore the history of the Jewish Ghetto in Rome, in the charming Medieval e...
Choose, according to your needs, between the two packages: priority dedicated entrance or priority d...
Explore the 3-tiered Basilica of San Clemente in central Rome, and discover a unique church built ov...
Benefit from skip-the-line access to some of the Vatican's top attractions on this 2,5-hour guided t...
Take advantage of a three-day ticket to visit four of the most important museums in Rome. - Start yo...
The Vatican has so many treasures and can be overwhelming. We want you to experience it in the best ...
Experience the essential sites of ancient Rome with a professional guide who’ll make it all come to ...
Discover the museum collection and two synagogues on an emotional tour through the Jewish neighborho...
The breathtaking Sorrento Coast is a must see on any trip to Italy. Spend a night outside the city f...