Colosseum and Emperor Nero's Golden Palace tour
- Visit one of the largest and most opulent villas ever build in Rome
- Wear your hard hat: restorations of the palace are still ongoing
- Admire the incredible frescoes which inspired Michelangelo and the Italian Renaissance
- Get free access to visit The Roman Forum and Palatine Hill on your own
Explore two of Ancient Rome’s most jaw-dropping remains: the Domus Aurea and the Colosseum. After a 3-hour tour, you’ll finish your morning wandering the ruins of the world-famous Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.
Start your day in the Colosseum, where you’ll skip the entrance lines to walk inside the fascinating history of this iconic place. Your expert guide will tell you about the hunts, executions and gladiator fights that made the amphitheater famous.
Afterwards, put on a hard hat and head underground to discover the Domus Aurea, Nero’s ‘Golden Palace’. This titanic villa once spanned somewhere between 100 and 300 acres and was filled with enormous rooms with 30-foot ceilings glistening with marble, frescoes, semi-precious stones, and gold. Nero threw giant parties here, entertaining guests on his manmade lake, or raining rose petals and perfume down on them as they ate dinner in his revolving dining room.
After Nero’s suicide, Romans did their best to erase any memory of the much-hated emperor, which mean completely burying the Domus Aurea under Trajan’s baths. When rediscovered during the Renaissance, it became a mecca for artistic explorers like Raphael, Michelangelo, Pinturicchio and Casanova.
Your guide will take you to ancient rooms filled with frescoes and jaw-dropping Roman architecture. As a special treat, the excavators have added virtual reality displays that recreate the Golden Palace as it once was.
Back above ground, your guide will escort you to the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. After ensuring that you skip the lines at the entrance, they will leave you to explore these world-class ruins in your own time.
- Special access Domus Aurea tour
- Skip-the-line Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill tickets
- Guided Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill tour
- Expert archaeologist guide
- hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Infant (0-3): free
- Child (4-12): reduced
Via Nicola Salvi, 64, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Outside of Oppio Caffè located on Via delle Terme di Tito, 72 (near the Colosseum)
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- NOTE: There is a new rule at the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill that only small backpacks and regular-size handbags are allowed inside. Guests with larger bags will not be allowed to enter (there are no storage facilities) and all guests must now pass through a security check before entering the Colosseum.
- If you wish to visit the Forum and Palatine Hill (non guided), you need to do so directly when tour ends in order to be able to enter the sites.
- 01 April 2018 - 31 July 2018
- Saturdays, Sundays at 1:00 PM
Enter the incredible mind of Leonardo da Vinci, a leading artist and intellectual of the Italian Ren...
Make the most of your tour of the Vatican Museums with a special visit to the Bramante Staircase, wh...
Take part in a virtual visit using special 3D viewers combined with a multilingual audio guide and r...
You’ll meet your guide and group near the entrance to the Colosseum; the extraordinary amphitheater ...
The most memorable, fun, and hands-on way to spend an evening, our Rome pasta-making class gives you...
Soak in the newly-opened and exclusive areas of the Colosseum with a small group and expert guide th...