- Start your day-trip from Civitavecchia Port (pick-up included)
- Visit Tarquinia town and the Etruscan ruins
- Enjoy Bolsena Lake and Capodimonte town
- Have lunch in a typical Restaurant in Capodimonte town (own expense)
- Explore the ancient Tuscania town
Tarquinia is said to have been already a flourishing city, when Demaratus of Corinth brought workmen to Greece. It was the chief of the twelve cities of Etruria. Descendants of Demaratus, Lucius Tarquinius Priscus and Lucius Tarquinius Superbus became kings of ancient Rome.
The original site of the Etruscan city of Tarquinia, known as the “Civita”, is on the long plateau to the north of the current town. The two coexisted for most of the early Middle Ages, with Tarquinia dwindling to a small fortified settlement on the “Castellina” location, and the more strategically placed Corneto growing progressively to become the major city of the lower Maremma sea coast, especially after the destruction of the port of Centumcellae (modern Civitavecchia).
The Etruscan necropolises in Tarquinia area, with 6,000 tombs, 200 of which include wall paintings. The main site is the Necropolis of Monterozzi, with a large number of tumulus tombs with chambers carved in the rock. The scenes painted include erotic and magic depictions, landscapes, dances, and music. There are also carved sarcophagi, some dating to the Hellenistic period. Main tombs included the Tomba della Fustigazione (flogging) and the Tomb of the Leopards.
Your day-trip will continue to Bolsena Lake and Capodimonte town. Bolsena Lake is a crater lake of central Italy, of volcanic origin, which was formed starting 370,000 years ago, following the collapse of a caldera of the Vulsini volcanic complex into a deep aquifer. Roman historic records indicate activity of the Vulsini volcano occurred as recently as 104 BC, since when it has been dormant. The two islands in the southern part of the lake were formed by underwater eruptions, following the initial collapse of the caldera.
The town of Capodimonte, settled on a picturesque promontory that stretches out toward the water, is the main touristic center of Bolsena Lake. Historically, it is the heir of the Etruscan city, Vesentum, destroyed in 280 B.C. and re-founded by the Romans with the name, Visentium. The Lombardic invasion in the mid-8th century resulted in a dispersion of its population: a part found refuge on the promontory, where the medieval town of Capodimonte was born; the other part remained and on the rubble constructed the medieval castle of Bisenzio.
You'll have time for a good lunch and for tasting local food, before heading to Tuscania town. According to the legend, Tuscania was founded by Aeneas’ son, Ascanius, where he had found twelve dog pups. Another legend attributes the foundation to one Tusco, son of Hercules and Araxes.
Evidence of human presence in the area dates from the Neolithic age, but probably the city proper was built around the 7th century BC, when the Acropolis on St. Peter Hill was surrounded by a line of walls.
In the following years, the strategical position granted Tuscania a leader role in the Etruscan world. After the defeat of the coastal cities by the Greeks (4th century BC), Tuscania became also a maritime trade center through the port of Regas (next today’s Montalto di Castro).
There is no record of Tuscania being involved in the battles that led to the Roman conquest of the Etruscan northern Lazio (280 BC), as the city probably entered into the Roman orbit in a Pacific way.
- Port pick-up/drop-off
- Professional English-speaking driver
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Live commentary on board
- Fuel surcharge
- Tarquinia Etruscan museum Tickets (8 € per person)
- Entrance fees
- Adult pricing applies to all participants
You will be picked up and dropped off at the port pier of Civitavecchia by your driver, who will be holding a sign with your name on.
- The Etruscan Museum in Tarquinia is closed on Mondays
- This tour has the permissions to enter the restricted area of Civitavecchia Port, you won’t have to walk to reach your driver under the gangway exit of your ship, and he will wait for you with your name on a sign
- Air-conditioned, fully insured and licensed legal vehicle with professional English-speaking driver and permissions to enter the historical town's centers
- The vehicle and driver will be at your complete disposal for the entire duration of the tour and they can take you where big buses cannot go
- All tours can be modified and/or customized (even while on tour) to meet your complete satisfaction
- If you would like to have lunch or quick snack, your driver can suggest a nice café, restaurant or pizzeria. To avoid unpleasant surprises, it’s always best to inform your driver on how much you would like to spend
- Your English-speaking driver will give a general overview regarding the history of the sites and monuments, while in the car before you enter. By Italian law he is unable to conduct guiding inside museums, monuments, etc.
- pick-up around 7.30 am (with drop-off around 5.00 pm)
Discover the masterpieces of Rome on this tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter'...
Don't miss the romantic atmosphere of past times of the Serenissima Venice! Join this sightseeing to...
Admirez le coucher du soleil sur les toits de Rome et profitez de l'atmosphère romantique de la vill...
Roma, la città eterna tra arte, storia e cultura. Tradizione di benessere basata sul concetto di spa...
Begin your tour with a visit to one of the oldest churches in Rome, dedicated to Theotokos (Mother o...
Esplora il mercato locale e le storiche botteghe alimentari romane ed acquista i migliori ingredient...