Montecassino Abbey and WW2 Battlefields day tour from Rome
- Discover the historic Montecassino Abbey
- Decide to visit the museums with a professional guide (upgrade option)
- Relive the history of the Abbey during the WW2
After being picked up from your accommodation in Rome, start your 1.5-hour drive to Montecassino, observing the landscape as you go. Upon your arrival, begin a self-guided tour of Montecassino Abbey, one of the most well-known abbeys in the world. As the driver is not permitted to give you a guided tour, he will give you the background history prior to your entering.
After your tour of the abbey itself, you may optionally pay a visit to the museum. Here, you'll take a self-guided tour as well, while your guide will patiently wait for you outside.
Next, head to a local restaurant on top of a hill, where you'll have a break for lunch (own expense). As you eat, observe the view of the town of Cassino. Once you have finished your meal, the driver will bring you back to your hotel.
About the Abbey of Montecassino, one of the most known Abbeys in the world: In 529 St. Benedict chose this mountain to build a monastery that would host him and those monks following him on the way from Subiaco. Paganism was still present here, but he managed to turn the place into a well-structured Christian monastery, where everybody could have the dignity they deserved through praying and working. Within the centuries the Abbey has met magnificence and destruction many times and has always come out of its ruins stronger. In 577 Langobards destroyed it, then Saracens in 887. In 1349 a violent earthquake occurred.
In February 1944 a bombardment almost flatted it. The Battle of Monte Cassino was a costly series of four assaults by the Allies against the Winter Line in Italy, held by Axis forces during the Italian Campaign of World War II. The intention was a breakthrough to Rome. Between January 17 and May 18, 1944, Monte Cassino and the Gustav defences were assaulted four times by Allied troops, the last involving twenty divisions attacking along a twenty-mile front. The German defenders were finally driven from their positions but at a high cost. The capture of Monte Cassino resulted in 55,000 Allied casualties, with German losses being far fewer, estimated at around 20,000 killed and wounded.
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Profesional English-speaking driver
- Transport by private air-conditioned minivan
- Abbey of Montecassino: free of charge
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Museum of the Abbey tickets (5 € per person)
- Entrance fees
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
You will be picked up and dropped off at your hotel in Rome. Please provide your hotel information when booking to arrange your pick-up.
- The price is per vehicle (not per person)
- Air-conditioned, fully insured and licensed legal vehicle with professional English-speaking driver and permissions to enter the historical center of Rome
- The vehicle and driver will be at your complete disposal for the entire duration of the tour and can take you where big buses cannot go
- All tours can be modified and/or customized (even while on tour) to meet your complete satisfaction
- Your English speaking driver will give a general overview regarding the history of the sites and monuments while in the car before you enter. He will allow all the time you need to visit with no rushing as in group tours. By Italian law he is unable to conduct guiding inside museums, monuments, etc.
- If you prefer a private licensed tour guide expert in Montecassino and World War II Battlefields, he/she will narrate from both inside the vehicle and will also enter the sites with you
- Daily around 8.00 am
The best way to visit Rome and its sights is to join this 3.5-hour group guided walking tour. Visit ...
Enjoy one of the most important art collections in the world and the masterpieces inside St Peter’s ...
Walk through history on a guided visit to the Colosseum, the main symbol of the ancient Roman times,...
You have not truly seen Rome until you have experienced it at night! The monuments are completely tr...
With your children, discover the great accomplishments of the Ancient Roman Emperors at the Colosseu...
Season 2018/2019 - Minù presents DJs ARE NOT SUPERHEROES Humility is always the best record a DJ can...