The Pantheon and the undergrounds of Santa Maria in Via Lata tour
- Uncover the secrets of the mysterious Pantheon
- Learn the history of Santa Maria in Via Lata and its underground crypt
- Explore hidden areas not usually open to the public
Visit 2 of Rome's most important monuments: the fastidiously-engineered Pantheon and the archaic Santa Maria in Via Lata, where Saint Paul is claimed to have spent 2 years under house arrest.
The Pantheon is one of the Roman Empire's best-preserved buildings, commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus, as a temple to all the gods of Ancient Rome. Later rebuilt by emperor Hadrian, it's extraordinary spherical interior has been in constant use throughout its history, and it's been a Catholic church since the 7th century.
From the Piazza della Rotonda in front of the Pantheon, proceed to the Piazza di Pietra, or “Stone Square,” to admire the Temple of Hadrian, built by the deified emperor’s adopted son and successor, Antoninus Pius. Then, continue to the church of Santa Maria in Via Lata, the crypt of which Saint Paul supposedly spent 2 years in awaiting his trial. It first became a Christian place of worship in the 5th century, constructed within the remains of a large Roman warehouse to serve as an oratory beneath the present church.
Here, you'll discover some rare and well-preserved frescoes, as well as an ancient well of pristine waters that, according to legend, was a gift from God in response to Saint Paul's prayers.
- Skip-the-line entrance tickets
- Access to Church's Crypt
- Tips and gratuities
- Transportation from hotel
- Child (0-12): free
Piazza della Rotonda, 74, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
In front of Albergo del Senato, Pantheon Square
- The tour is not recommended for people with walking disabilities, although transportation from your hotel can be booked in addition. Sites are not wheelchair-accessible.
- This tour requires a minimum of 2 participants.
- November-March: Tuesday-Wednesday at 3.30pm
- April-October: Friday, Saturday, Sunday at 3.30pm
- Please be ready at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before tour departure time