- Discover the inscriptions and frescoes of Rome's Jewish Catacombs
- Learn about the burial traditions from an expert archaeologist
- Visit an ancient site in Rome that is normally closed to the public
Explore the Jewish Catacombs of Vigna Randanini in Rome, located along the rustic Appian Way. Get a unique perspective of ancient Rome on a 90-minute subterranean tour of a site normally closed to the public.
The Jewish Catacombs of Vigna Randanini were discovered in the 19th century on the Appian way. They are one of seven known complexes utilized for Jewish burials. Today, they are closed to the public and may only be visited with special permission.
These catacombs, like their Christian and pagan counterparts, are a series of underground burial galleries with tombs carved into the soft volcanic stone of the area. The deceases were interred in painted loculi, cubicula, and kokhim. The presence of these kokhim set them apart from Rome's pagan and Christian catacombs. They were deep chambers in which the deceases would be buried perpendicular to the wall. The openings were sealed with marble epitaphs. The Vigna Randanini present interesting inscriptions predominantly in Latin and Greek language.
- Archaeologically-literate guide
- Tips and gratuities
- Transportation from hotel
- Child (0-12): reduced
Via Appia Antica, 136, 00179 Roma RM, Italy
In front of St. Sebastian Catacomb (not inside)
- Going underground requires some physical fitness, although there is no difficult terrain. Please ensure that you are able to walk up and down some stairs.
- November-March: Monday and Friday at 11.00am
- April-October: Tuesday at 3.00pm; Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday at 11.00am
Admirez le coucher du soleil sur les toits de Rome et profitez de l'atmosphère romantique de la vill...
Roma, la città eterna tra arte, storia e cultura. Tradizione di benessere basata sul concetto di spa...
Discover the most famous amphitheater in the world and relive the glorious past of Ancient Rome with...
Begin your tour with a visit to one of the oldest churches in Rome, dedicated to Theotokos (Mother o...
Take part in a once-in-a-lifetime tour where you can be a part of the papal audience and see the pop...
Esplora il mercato locale e le storiche botteghe alimentari romane ed acquista i migliori ingredient...