'Trotula De Ruggiero', first Lady of Medicine in XIth century Salerno
- Acquisition of the basic techniques of medical analysis of the XIth century
- A guided visit (a licensed tour guide) along the historical city center of the Salerno from Via Mercanti, historic Trade Route of the city, to Romanesque Duomo
- Exploration of the Garden of Minerva, Giardino della Minerva and a research of various herbs with the expert's assistance
PASSIONS History of medicine (the Mulieres of Salerno were female doctors in the Medieval Salerno University), the passion for Botanics (the Garden of Minerva of Salerno was the botanical garden of the Medical School of Salerno). Medieval art and history of Salerno.
WE WARMLY WELCOME Young people, adults, and children, Italians and foreigners speaking English. All those interested in deepening their knowledge of the history of Salerno, its bind between the Medical School of Salerno and the use of medicinal herbs.
THE STORY Salerno, year 1099, Sibilla Da Conversano is on the verge of her life for having sipped poison from the wound of her husband, Roberto II, Duke of Normandy, injured in a battle during the First Crusade. Fortunately, Trotula De Ruggiero, one of the first Ladies of medicine in Italian history, does not give up! With the help of Abella, her faithful assistant, she involves her students in the preparation of a powerful antidote, made by the wise mixture of four medical herbs gathered in the Garden of Minerva, Giardino della Minerva. If the challenge comes to a success, every student will get a Certificate of Value.
But now do not hesitate, you are also needed! Make sure we find you at the Villa Comunale of Salerno and do not forget to bring an ampulla for analyses!
Clelia, “entered” in the role of Trotula, the most famous Lady Doctor in the almost thousand-year history of the University of Salerno, will help you comprehend the Medieval past of this splendid city, taking you to discover the most representative places of the city and the life of Doctress Trotula, describing in a popular way the salient aspects of the Medical School of Salerno in the period of its greatest splendour during the XI and XIIth century (female doctors, diagnosing the ill, use of plants for healing purposes, theory of the 4 moods of Hippocrates, an ancient Greek doctor). You will put on the shoes of a student in the Medical School of Salerno coming from Northern Europe, will explore the Botanical garden, known as the Giardino della Minerva (Garden of Minerva), and will be charged to look for botanical species with anti-poisonous qualities. You will learn to recognize certain plants and while enjoying the breathtaking landscape, will taste tisane of beneficial effects in the suggestive tisanehouse of the Botanical garden, in a bond of knowledge which links the Medical School of Salerno with the natural world of herbs.
- Description in a popular way of the salient aspects of the Medieval Medical School of Salerno done by an expert.
- Visit to the historic city center of Salerno (Duomo, Via Mercanti, Botanical garden called the Garden of Minerva, with an authorized tour guide
- A 'Thank you' certificate for the mission completion
- Schemes on the four plants to search with insertions of important medieval texts found in Salerno.
- Everything that is not clearly mentioned in the inclusions
- Infant (0 - 2): free
Via Roma, 146, 84121 Salerno SA, Italia
Public Garden of Villa Comunale, right a side the Verdi Theatre, Via Roma - SALERNO (CAMPANIA)
- Best period from March to October.
- Due to alleys of up-going steps, people of walking difficulties should consider carefully their participation.
- To "capture" the herbs in a photo, even a Smartphone will do well.
- It is advised to dress in layers with comfortable outer clothes, high heels to be avoided.
- A maximum of 10 people per session is admitted.
From 9.00 am to 13.00 pm
Looking for the perfect gift to celebrate an anniversary or to simply express your affection? Not su...
Departure from Salerno Harbor for a full-day trip. Visit the typical Furore Fjord and stop at the Li...
Day 1: Arrival in Salerno and Trekking at Arechi CastleFree arrival at the hotel. Meeting with the g...
The Feudi di San Gregorio wine estate is a member of The Grand Wine Tour Association - a quality bra...
Try a real once-in-a-lifetime experience by renting a wonderful vintage car for the whole day: enjoy...
06 April 2019 Level 1 with SHOUT! pres. BUTCH Level 2 with TBA ENTRY IN LIST € 10 before 00.30 € 15 ...