This private tour will take you to explore rural life on St Erasmo, the largest island in the northern lagoon.
Characterized by green areas, woods, and canals, St Erasmo is also called ‘Venice’s veggie garden’ for the abundance of fresh produce and vast fields, where excellent vegetables and fruit are still grown today. For this reason, the first destination of the tour is an apiary.
A beekeeper will show you a honeybee colony and illustrate the colony’s social structure and common bee behaviour, along with the apiary’s bee-friendly extraction techniques. This is an exciting opportunity to understand and appreciate the hard work of these little creatures to make honey. The visit to the apiary will be followed by local food tasting. Beekeepers will be preparing a range of delicacies for you to enjoy in the cosy atmosphere of the apiary owner’s home on the island. Traditional finger foods, vegetables, and fruit will be served with a selection of local honeys and Prosecco wine.
- Cone of seasonal vegetables topped with Millefiori (wildflower) spring honey
- Quiche tart made with zucchini pesto and Millefiori summer honey
- Crackers with either Piave’s seasoned cheese, or smoked Scamorza cheese, or St Daniele’s ham
- Venice’s sandbar flower honey
- Seasonal vegetables and fruits
- Panna-cotta made with ‘millefiori’ autumn honey
- Hazelnut honey and honeycomb
- Prosecco wine and water