Park Güell is the only of its kind in the world! In 1886, the entrepreneur Eusebi Güell entrusted the Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí with building his new house - Palau Güell in Nou de la Rambla street. Later, in 1900, this best known practitioner of Catalan Modernism was given the assignment of designing Park Güell.
Eusebi Güell wanted to recreate the British residential parks, which is why he named it Park Güell (in English). Gaudí respected the vegetation that was already growing on the property and when new species were introduced, he opted for Mediterranean plants that did not require much water. He also designed various systems for collecting and storing water.
Güell died at his house in 1918, and his heirs offered the park to the City Council, which agreed to purchase it. The park was opened as a municipal park in 1926. Thanks to the work of Gaudí's friends, the architect's house in Park Güell was opened to the public as Gaudí House Museum in 1963.
Park Güell became a public park, and nowadays it is one of the most important attractions in Barcelona visited by thousands of people each year. It was recognized as an artistic monument in 1969 and declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984.