- Explore the sacred Gnawa traditions and sites with a local musician guide
- Meet a local kuyu (Gnawa dancer) for a dance presentation and display of their traditional garments
- Learn the history and craft of the ornate lute-like guembri instrument
- Join a Gnawa maalem (master) in his private quarters to hear him play the traditional Gnawa melodies
- Enjoy a cup of Moroccan tea to the sounds of Gnawa fusion at a local music hotspot
Kick off your Essaouira tour under the iconic clocktower to begin a journey back in time and tradition. Weave through the medina to visit azaouia, or temple of the Gnawa people.
Follow a kuyu, or Gnawa dancer, to his private home for some tea and a demonstration of the sometimes acrobatic Gnawa dance moves, accompanied by an explanation of their typical clothing.
The tour continues the private quarters of a maalem, or Master, to learn about the making of the guembri. This lute-like instrument is the base of all Gnawa music and you’ll get to learn how it’s made and hear it played. Rarely do outsiders get invited into these personal spaces, generally reserved for Gnawi, musicians and their friends.
Finish the evening as hip locals do in Essaouira — chilling at a local music spot, grooving to soulful music that fuses Gnawa with Jazz, Latin, Reggae, and more. Your local guide can recommend where to have dinner or carry on the night, if you’re so inclined!
- Gnawa demonstrations/performances
- Children 6-11 years old: reduced price
Below the Essaouira clocktower (L’Moganna) near Bab Sbaa square
- As you will be entering sacred and private spaces, please be considerate of local tradition and wear appropriate clothing. We recommend covering the shoulders to the knees for both men and women
- Once you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. Print it, and we'll see you at the start point
- This is a child-friendly tour, but not stroller-friendly
- Tuesdays, Thursdays, Friday, Saturdays
When travelling to Morocco, you might want to see a more authentic side of the country. Enjoy a pick...
Delve into the history and culture of Casablanca and explore the highlights of this old world city w...
Let Gray Line pick you up at the airport and drop you at your hotel or vice versa. Enjoy your first ...
Dig deeper into the food and culture of this enchanting city than most tourists get to.After meeting...
Immerse yourself in Moroccan cooking culture and support the local community at the same time! After...
Spend a night at L'Ane Vert Ecolodge and experience the true beauty and culture of Morocco. Hidden i...