Cupola Climb and Duomo Square private tour
- Explore Florence's Duomo Square, the city's most iconic landmark
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Sites: The Cathedral, Baptistery and the Opera del Duomo Museum
- Enjoy a spectacular view of the city
- Climb to the top of the Cupola, the highest point in Florence
Your guide will begin by talking you through the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, which commits to the conservation of the dome and other artworks of great masterpieces of Michelangelo, Donatello, Lorenzo
Ghiberti, Luca Della Robbia, Arnolfo di Cambio and many others. Afterward, as you walk through the piazza you'll catch glimpses of the red dome that was completed in 1436 by Filippo Brunelleschi and known as the
largest building in medieval Europe. After an interesting explanation of this showstopper, your next stop will be the showpieces of Florentine Gothic architecture, Giotto's Bell Tower, standing adjacent to the Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore
Your guide will also walk you around the exterior of the Loggia del Bigallo, a late Gothic building in Florence with an interesting historical fact. Finally, you’ll enter through the “Gates of Paradise” to the Baptistery of St. John
which stands across from the Duomo Cathedral. You will be also be guided on the technical and artistic points of view of architecture.
Your guide will talk you through all about how the Cupola was designed and built by Filippo Brunelleschi, who won the competition for its commission in 1418. The way up (and down) are basically tight corridors for the
workmen who built the cathedral for maintenance, they were never thought of as being open to the public. On the interior of the dome, you can admire the Giorgio Vasari's frescoes of the Last Judgment (1572-9) up close with an interesting explanation of the frescoes from your guide on your way up to the top. Look down and on the base, just above the drum, you'll see that Baccio d'Agnolo began adding a balcony in 1507 and how one of
the eight sides was unfinished. There's a story behind this balcony, your guide will reveal it to you on your way as to why the work was immediately halted, and as to why to this day the other seven sides remain rough brick. Once you climb to the top of the Cupola, you will be enchanted from the panoramic view of Florence City in front of your eyes. Your guide will talk about the history and art of this Duomo Square and answer to any of your remaining questions regarding Duomo.
- Tickets to visit the listed attractions (the Bell-tower, the crypt inside the Cathedral and the baptistery, Museo dell' Opera del Duomo)
- Ticket and the reservation for te Cupola
- Small group tour walking tour around the Duomo Square
- Official certified guide
- Radios and headsets to hear the guides clearly
- Guided tour inside the Museo dell' Opera del Duomo and Baptistery of Saint John
- Walking tour around the Duomo Square
- Entrance fees
- Entrance ticket to visit the crypt, baptistery, bell tower and the Opera Duomo Museum of the Florence Duomo on your own time
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Entrance to the Cathedral
- Infant (0-5): free of charge
- Child (6-12): reduced
Piazza del Duomo, 5, 50122 Firenze FI
Porta della Mandorla in front of Arnold Coffee.
- Not wheelchair accessible (no elevators to climb Cupola)
- Not recommended for participants with back problems, physically not fit to climb steps, pregnant women
- and suffering from vertigo, claustrophobia or heart problems
- Pets are not allowed
- The guided tour to climb the Cupola will take around 1 hour
- You do not need a ticket to visit the Cathedral; you can enter it at any time before or after this tour
- After the first validation, the ticket is valid for 72 hours: you can use it to visit monuments listed on your
- own time (the Bell-tower and the crypt inside the cathedral)
- Respect the dress code: no shorts or sleeveless tops, knees and shoulders must be covered for both men
- and women and hats should not be worn inside. You may risk refused entry.
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Please note that the tour requires a minimum number of guests to run
- Please note that if you arrive after the tour start time you will not be able to join and will not be refunded or have your tour rescheduled
- Every day at 10.00am, 11.00am, 12.00pm, 01.00pm, 02.00pm, 03.00pm and 04.00pm
We’ll pick you up at the meeting point in the centre of Florence and we’ll drive you in our minivan ...
The “Florence and a bite of Tuscany” tour is perfect to discover the beauty of Florence environs, cy...
The tour starts with an introduction to the square and its religious buildings.Then you will visit t...
Easy, pleasant, joyful: it’s the perfect tour for families, small group or individuals enthusiast fo...
The Leaning Tower of Pisa is one of the most memorable sights in Europe and one of the seven medieva...
This special half day tour will take you to the heart of Tuscany. Meet the real people who live and ...