Soweto bike tour in Johannesburg
- Discover the real Soweto through its rich history and cultural diversity
- Cycle the colourful streets and experience the vibrant atmosphere
- Ride down Vilakazi Street and past the sites of the 1976 student uprisings
- Enjoy the atmosphere of a local Soweto shebeen bar over a drink and a game of pool
Discover the colour, energy, and history of vibrant Soweto during this Johannesburg bike tour. As you ride along, your local guide will take you through the history of Soweto as well as into current developments and life today.
It'll be about a 60 to 90-minute drive to the start point of our Soweto tour (depending on traffic and pick-up points). You’ll start at Lebo’s Soweto Backpackers and head to the first stop: a look-out point that takes in Orlando West and East. View the surroundings of the township, including the home grounds of the famous soccer team, the Orlando Pirates. From there, the next stop is Mzimhlophe Men’s Hostel – a former migrant workers’ hostel. In this area, many locals still practice traditional African customs, and you’ll learn all about their beliefs and traditions. Your Soweto tour then continues via Meadowlands to the memorial site of Hector Pieterson, commemorating the uprisings on 16 June 1976, when hundreds of children and youths lost their lives while protesting the Apartheid education system.
From there, you’ll continue on to Vilakazi Street, where you’ll stop at Nelson Mandela’s former home, and the home of Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu, to learn more about these icons’ contributions to a free and democratic South Africa. This will be the last stop of the tour, and from there, we’ll cycle back to Lebo’s, where you can take in more of Soweto, the community, and its people.
- Local English speaking guide
- Entrance fees
- Transportation as indicated
- Items of a personal nature
- Drinks and food
- Tips for drivers and guides
- Children between the ages of 6 and 11: reduced
Pick up from centrally located hotels in Johannesburg. Please provide your hotel informations after booking
- To schedule the hotel pick up you have to contact the local supplier and provide your hotel details. After booking you will receive further information
- Note that the cycling portion of this tour will be about two hours. The full duration time of the tour is to cover pick-ups and drop-offs, as well as pre-cycle preparation time
- Minimum age 6 years. Children below the age of 6 years are not permitted on this Johannesburg bike tour
- Dress standards are conservative throughout Africa. To respect this and for your own comfort, we strongly recommend modest clothing. This means covering shoulders and no short shorts. We recommend a mixture of loose, lightweight clothing and warm clothing for the evenings. Shorts should be knee-length. Singlets and tank tops are not suitable
- Every day at 08.30am
Come and discover the awe-inspiring beauty and serenity of the Pilanesberg National Park. You will e...
You get a pick-up from your hotel to start this interesting and exciting Pretoria, Johannesburg and ...
You will get a pick-up from your confirmed hotel in either Johannesburg or Pretoria before heading t...
Home to the Rainbow Nation, this fast-paced city combines the best of the new South Africa with the ...
Spend the morning exploring Johannesburg, viewing the highlights of the city, which include the brea...
If you want to see as much of Johannesburg as possible in one go, then hop on the red open-top buses...