Crypts and Catacombs of Naples
- Discover Catacombs of San Gaudioso and Catacombs of San Gennaro
- Visit the Church of Santa Maria della Sanità, or ‘Our lady of Health’
- Hear captivating stories on subterranean Naples from a passionate local guide
Join this unique opportunity to explore two incredibly well-preserved catacombs in Naples: San Gaudioso and San Gennaro. This time, you’ll go below and beyond to a time when Christianity was considered a cult, whose members were executed as heretics and buried as martyrs.
Probably occupied by the Greeks for the first time, this space was used as a burial ground for Naples by the first Christian communities nearly 2000 years ago. The chambers are more spacious than their counterparts in Rome and house hundreds of tombs, from modest singles to extravagant family tombs.
While walking through the humming streets of the Rione Sanità, it’s hard to imagine how one of the most densely populated areas in Naples was once so removed from the city center to be a place of burial. Sanità means health, and the area was considered pristine, because of the presence of the saints, whose bodies were buried in the catacombs, such as the famous San Gennaro, the beloved patron of the city.
You’ll hear stories of devotion, superstition, and even theft, as the relics of the saints were so precious that even thieves were attracted to these subterranean cities.
Admire the first Christian representations with their mysterious symbols and the early Byzantine mosaics. You'll see the bizarre tombs of nobles, where skulls were placed on display in the walls and the rest of the body was painted in frescoes, with clothes and details about their status and life.
By joining this tour, you not only support the ongoing restoration of the sites, but you offer a valuable support also to the local community, that is directly involved in the ambitious project to preserve the history of these unique places.
- Entrance tickets to the catacombs of S. Gennaro and S. Gaudioso
- Expert, local English-speaking tour guide
- Expert, local English-speaking tour guide
- Child (4-14 years old): reduced
- Infant (0-3 years old): free
Piazzale Madre Landi, 80136 Napoli NA, Italy
On the steps in front of the entrance of Basilica dell'Incoronata del Buon Consiglio
- This service ends at Piazza Cavour around 12:30am
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, hills, and stairs; comfortable shoes are recommended
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. We are also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages on our group tours
- Entrance into churches requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. City Wonders cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress
- Gratuities to guides and/or drivers providing excellent service are appreciated
- Your City Wonders coordinators will be wearing blue City Wonders polo shirts or jackets to be easily recognizable at the meeting point
- Photography is permitted throughout the tour
- Some sites visited lack shade and can be hot under direct sunlight. We recommend bringing a hat, sunscreen and a bottle of water in warm weather
- City Wonders reserves the right to refuse participation on its tours to any guest under the influence of drugs or alcohol or to any guest whose behavior is disorderly or poses a threat to other guests or City Wonders staff
Monday, Tuesday, Friday
- Meeting Time: 09.45am
- Departure Time: 10:00am
The Catacombs of San Gennaro are located on two non-overlapping levels, both characterized by extrem...
Underground Naples is the city's most famous and fascinating route. Guides will take you on a journe...
Originally intended as the residence for the Spanish King Philip III of Spain while on a visit, the ...
Enjoy one of the best views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples from the Castel Sant'Elmo on Vomero hi...
Discover the city of Naples and its wonders during this walking tour that will take you to the histo...
Explore Naples with a 24-hour ticket valid for up to 2 routes on this panoramic hop-on hop-off sight...
Discover Naples with Artecard Napoli. This card allows you to visit the most important sites in Napl...
Discover the most (and least) famous works of mural artists in the historical city center of Naples ...
On your tour you will be offered a genuine experience of the Naples lifestyle, culture and the preci...
This tour consists in a marvellous walk around of the ancient Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneu...