Day trip From New York to Washington DC by train, with Capitol tour, White House and National Mall
- Avoid the bus and hop on a quiet, relaxing train that gets you to Washington DC in just under 3.5 hours
- See the most famous monuments in Washington DC without having to stay overnight in the city
- Take an official tour of the Capitol Building
- Explore the National Mall, where most of America’s most famous monuments are located, including the Vietnam War Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and more
- Enjoy the company of an expert guide who will escort you from NYC to Washington DC and give you the stories and background to everything you see
Forget crowded busses packed with large tour groups, this Washington DC day trip from New York takes you to and from the Capital by train, so you have more time on the ground to visit the most iconic monuments in the National Mall with an expert guide, stop for a history lesson (and a few pictures) in front of the White House, and join an official tour of the Capitol Building.
Your day starts early, in Penn Station, where you’ll meet your expert guide and small group of 15 people, then hop one of the first trains to Washington DC. Grab some breakfast or take a nap, After just under 3.5 hours in transit, you’ll step out of the train station, cross the jaw-dropping national mall, and arrive at the steps of the Capitol Building.
This is where the daily business of the world’s most powerful democracy takes place and you’ll get an inside look at it when you join the official tour of the building, which includes a short video on the historic struggle to develop a representative government in the states, as well as visits to the Crypt, Rotunda, and National Statuary Hall. The story of the Capitol Building is also the story of the American Democracy and it’s never more fascinating than when you are hearing it while surrounded by its most famous landmarks.
After the Capitol building, you’ll pause for a photo op in front of the building then break for lunch. It isn’t included in the tour but your guide will give you a range of options to suit any taste.
After lunch, you’ll embark on a tour of the National Mall to see some of America’s most famous monuments. While standing in front of the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, and Vietnam War Memorial, your guide will tell you the stories of the people and events behind these jaw-dropping works of art and give you an even deeper appreciation of what they stand for.
Of course, no tour of Washington D.C. is complete without a stop in front of the President’s House. As you stand out front, snapping the obligatory selfie, you’ll learn the tumultuous history of the building, from ghosts and fires, to which presidents have loved it and improved it, and which have spent as little time in it as possible. You’ll also learn a lot about the First Ladies, whose impact on the function and uses of the house has traditionally been immense. Along the way, you’ll get a peek into the human side of American history with anecdotes about skinny-dipping POTUSes and strange presidential pets.
We pack a lot of sightseeing into 7 hours, so after the White House, you'll hop right back onto the train and get you back to NYC by 8:30.
- Guided tour of Washington's main monuments
- Entrance to the Capitol
- Round-trip transport from New York City by train
- Free time for lunch at own expense
- Small Groups of 15 people
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Food and beverages
- Infants up to 3 years are free of charge
Pennsylvania Station, 4 Pennsylvania Plaza, New York, NY 10001, USA
Penn Station, at the entrance on 8th Ave and 31st Street
- The tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time
- Please note that we are unable to accommodate a delayed departure time due to late arrivals as trains are departing on time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure
- Only small backpacks and regular-size handbags are allowed on this tour
- Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate strollers on this tour
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended
19 May 2018 - 17 June 2018
- Saturdays at 6.20am
18 June 2018 - 31 October 2018
- Mondays at 6.40am
- Saturdays at 6.20am
See the best parts of Manhattan on this 6-hour tour on a Double-decker bus. You’ll be taken all over...
Hop on this cruise to experience the fastest way to the Statue of Liberty. You'll travel down the Hu...
Gain a deeper understanding of 9/11 and its legacy with the expert knowledge of a local guide. This ...
See incredible views of New York City from the observatory of One World Trade Center: America’s tall...
Winner of over 50 major awards including the Grammy Award and three Tony Awards®, Wicked is the unto...
For Broadway lovers and Disney fans, there’s no better experience than this new, exclusive access to...