Stories from the Dark Side of New York: Criminals, Gangs & Mafia Crime Tour
- Walk the beat with an expert guided who will take you back through the criminal past of NYC.
- Learn the turbulent histories of the gangs of New York, including notorious Irish, Italian & Chinese gangs, as you visit their home turf in the Lower East Side.
- Learn the historical ‘crimeline' of New York, from the turf wars made famous by the movie, Gangs of New York, to the white collar criminals of Wall Street.
- Enjoy a small group of max 15 people that will allow you to easily interact with your tour leader, asking them all the questions you want about life on the streets of NYC.
Take to the streets of New York with a local expert guide to explore neighborhoods once home to notorious criminals, learn how the city was ruled in waves by various immigrant crime rings and finding out what modern crime looks like in the city.
On the Lower East Side, you’ll see tenement buildings where Irish immigrants lived in subhuman conditions. The most notorious area here was the ‘Five Points’ - a junction so infamous for its gang crime (rumor has it some even lived in burrows under the streets!) that Charles Dickens came to check it out himself on a trip to NYC, not believing it could live up to its reputation. It did, of course, as your guide will tell you.
Irish gangs weren’t the only group to terrorise the Lower East Side however. Throughout the 1900s the Italian mafia kept Little Italy in a choke hold, while the 1970s and 1980s were dominated by Chinese turf wars that were so bloody you’ll hardly believe the stories.
From the city’s earliest rag-tag gangs to the mafia empires of the 20th century, you’ll separate the truth from from myths popularized by movies like Gangs of New York and TV shows like The Sopranos. You’ll also learn about the city’s most notorious criminals; from Captain Kidd and Boss Tweed, to John Gotti and Leona Helmsley.
The neighborhoods you visit are much nicer today than they were in the past but has NYC really cleaned up its act? As part of your tour, you’ll visit lower Manhattan, in particular Wall Street and the Financial District, to learn about modern, white collar crime (and the going rate for a get-out-of-jail-free card).
New York City crime tours don’t get any better than when they are developed with the help of NYPD police officers and detectives. Lifetimes of studying NYC’s criminals are synthesized into a truly unique experience that will teach you how crime is inseparable from the history of this great city.
- Guided tour of the Lower East Side & Wall Street
- Expert tour guide
- Small groups of 15 people or fewer
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
54 Pearl St, New York, NY 10004, USA
Until the 28th of February 2018: You will meet at the sidewalk in front of Fraunces Tavern, 54 Pearl St (at Broad St.).From the 1st of March 2018: In front of Stock Exchange on Broad Street between Wall Street and Exchange Place. The exact address is 11 Wall St, New York, NY 10005, USA.
- This tour may not be suitable for young children, as subject matter may be graphic and disturbing.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- The tour is offered in English only.
- Meeting Time: 10:15 AM
- Departure Time: 10:30 AM
It is time for you to embark on a journey through present-day Harlem to see the people and places of...
New York Pizza, Beer and History Tour Looking for what to do in NYC? Check out the best pizza and be...
Come explore lower Manhattan on two wheels. This two-hour bike tour takes you up in the air above Ne...
New York is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world, and full of contrasts between it...
This walking tour of Brooklyn is a unique urban adventure filled with the city's tastiest food, and ...
Sidewalks of NY offers irresistible New York Food Tours in the cultural hotspot of the Lower East Si...
Listen to the beautiful, uplifting sounds of a world famous NYC gospel choir, learn the history of A...
This guided, walking tour of lower Manhattan is unlike any other you've experienced before. You'll b...
Discover traditions of beer brewing in Brooklyn! Once home to 48 breweries, this ancient trade disap...
Explore the Freedom Trail in New York City on this two-hour walking tour. You’ll learn about how bra...