Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe: private tour near Ravenna
- Visit one of the most important and iconic monuments of Byzantine art near Ravenna
- Marvel at the fantastic mosaics you'll see inside the basilica
- Learn all about this fascinating UNESCO site: its history, the artworks hidden here, its architecture and much more
This 1-hour private tour of the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe will allow you to discover one real hidden gem of Ravenna (and of the whole Italy!).
Sant'Apollinare in Classe, a UNESCO World Heritage site, has been described as the most impressive Basilica of the Early Christian period. Despite the plundering it suffered over the centuries, the basilica has preserved the splendour of its original building. It is now admired for its beautiful polychrome apse mosaics and ancient marble sarcophagi of archbishops, placed along the aisles.
This impressive church rises in all its solemn grandeur at a distance of 8 kilometres from the centre of Ravenna. Commissioned by archbishop Ursicino, the church was built by Julian Argentarius during the first half of the 6th century, on an ancient burial area used in the late 2nd or early 3rd century. Apparently, Saint Apollinaris - one of the first bishops of Ravenna - was buried here.
- private tour guide
- entrance ticket to the basilica
- pick-up and drop-off service
S. Apollinare in Classe, Via Romea Sud, Classe, Ravenna, Italy
Meet your guide in front of the main entrance of Basilica
- the Basilica is accessible to people with disabilities
- every day at 9 am, 10 am, 11 am, 2 pm, 3 pm, 4 pm and 5 pm
Ravenna was the capital city of the Western Roman Empire during the 5th century AD. It then served a...
Try a real once-in-a-lifetime experience by renting a wonderful vintage car for the whole day: enjoy...
On this full-day private tour of Ravenna your guide will show you the most important treasures of th...
Is learning to make authentic pasta from an Italian grandmother on your bucket list? Then you can fi...
Stage 9: Riccione - San Marino Sunday 19 May 2019, 34.7 kmIndividual chronometer divided into two pa...
Stage 10: Ravenna - Modena Tuesday 21 May 2019, 147 kmA completely flat stage across the plains of R...