Ancient Roman houses of Celio Hill 3-hour tour
- Discover the ancient Roman houses beneath the Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- See one of the oldest alleys in Rome at the Clivo di Scauri
- Admire the arcades of San Gregorio Magno al Celio
- Feast your eyes on the chandelier of Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- Learn about the frescoes of the Oratory of San Andrea of Celian
Join a guide on a mind-blowing tour of some of the most historic, yet hidden, sites of Rome on a 3-hour walking tour of the Roman houses of the Celio district.
Located on a magnificent hill, highlights of the area include the Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo at the top of Celio Hill, where about 20 decorated rooms from 5 separate houses were discovered during excavations in the late 19th century, and were lated dated as being from the 1st to the 4th century AD.
Next, learn about the ancient Roman road of the Clivo di Scauri, a hidden part of the city with arches from the Imperial period. Just a few yards down the road you will see the magnificent Oratory of San Andrea of Celian, containing frescoes of the “Flagellation of Saint Andrew” by Domenichino.
End your tour at the Church of San Gregorio Magno al Celio, and admire the ornate interior and arcades. Learn about the imperial ruins found in the grounds that historians think may have been an early Christian meeting place and baptismal pool.
- Headsets for 7 people
- Pick-up and drop off
- Food and drinks
- Youth (18-25): reduced
- Child (7-17): reduced
- Infant (0-6): free of charge
Via del Colosseo, Roma, RM, Italia
Meet your guide near the Arch of Costantine, Palatine Hill side.
- Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes prior to the start time
- This tour operates with a maximum of 20 guests
- Please wear good walking shoes. Bring a rain coat and/or umbrella in winter, and sun lotion and an umbrella for shade in the summer. Drinking water or an energy drink is also recommended
- Free cancellation is available 24 hours before the tour starts. Cancellations made less than 24 hours before the tour start time will not be refunded
- Thursday, Saturday, Sunday
- At 9.30am
Enjoy one of the most important art collections in the world and the masterpieces inside St Peter’s ...
Walk through history on a guided visit to the Colosseum, the main symbol of the ancient Roman times,...
You have not truly seen Rome until you have experienced it at night! The monuments are completely tr...
Our pink buses are on the move all day long and will take you to the city’s most important monuments...
Begin the tour in the city center; get your bikes, meet your professional guide and start riding aro...
Saturday 28 September 2019 Minù presents DREAMERS Lamache Jujet Dreaming is not a remedy, but the st...