DO THIS BECAUSE...
- A tour to discover the 3 most important places of Christianity in Trastevere
- Visit Santa Maria in Trastevere, the heart of the Roman neighbourhood
- Discover Santa Cecilia and his relics and admire the early Christian baptistery
- Visit Santa Maria dell'Orto, a rare example of Arciconfraternita
WHAT TO EXPECT
The itinerary includes three essential places of Christian life in Trastevere. This will allow us to follow the development of Christian buildings in Rome, from so-called tituli to the many churches, as well as the life of the early Christians.
- The Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere
- Santa Cecilia: the excavations and the remains of the early Christian baptistery
- The basilica and its frescoes by Cavallini in the choir
- The Church of Santa Maria dell'Orto
Santa Maria in Trastevere is still the religious heart of the district. It was one of the first churches in the city and is still very active, thanks to the Community of Sant'Egidio, which meets every night to pray. The basilica is an artistic treasure: the facade still preserves the medieval mosaic decoration, the powerful ancient columns, rich ceiling, designed by Domenichino and the beautiful mosaics by Pietro Cavallini that dazzle all visitors.
Santa Cecilia is an important basilica that played an essential role in the cult of relics in the past centuries (it was built over the tomb of the saint) nad helps to uderstand the birth of Christian Rome: Below the church will visit the excavations, with the remains of the early Christian baptistery, a perfect example of the city layers typical of Rome history. In the basilica you will see three important works of art: the ciborium by Arnolfo di Cambio, the beautiful mosaics of the apse and the wonderful marble statue of Santa Cecilia, a Baroque work of Maderno. Finally, we will admire the famous frescoes of the Last Judgment Cavallini (XIII century) in the choir of nuns.
The tour ends in the Church of Santa Maria dell'Orto. Unknown to the many, but one of the few examples of Confraternity. Several universities of arts and crafts were associated to this church, which have left their mark in the lavish decoration of the church: stop to admire the decorations of fruit and vegetables, symbol of "Ortolani" and "Fruttaroli", the turkey of "Pollaroli" and so on. Still active, the Confraternity is the exampe of the very strong bond between the religious, social and economic life of the city.
- Guided tour
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Snacks & drinks
- Everything not mentioned in the Included field
WHAT TO REMEMBER
The tour will not take place if it does not reach a minimum number of participants. If this happens you will be offered an alternate date for your booking or a total refund.
Every Saturday at 10 AM
- Reduced: 12-18 years old and over 65
- Free: 0-11 years old