Christian Catacombs guided tour
- Enjoy a guided tour of the Roman Catacombs, with an expert local guide
- Explore the Catacombs of Priscilla and Domitilla
- Learn about the Capuchin monks and their Crypt
See the best of underground Rome with this Christian Catacombs guided tour: explore the Catacombs of Priscilla and Domitilla, then visit the Capuchin Crypt with an expert local guide.
The main attraction of this tour will be definitely the crypt - charnel house decorated with around 4,000 Capuchin friars' bones, collected between 1528 and 1870 from the old cemetery of the order of Capuchins; the crypt is divided into five small chapels, where there are the mummies of some Capuchin friars.
Catacombs are underground burial areas used in ancient times. The Catacombs of Domitilla are placed in the ancient praedium Domitillae. Archaeological excavations conducted in the 20th century allowed researchers to discover burial grounds dated back to the 1st century B.C. The cemetery kept expanding until the end of the Roman Empire.
The Catacombs of Priscilla offer the chance of discovering the ancient Christian funeral tradition: these Catacombs are some of the most important in Rome. More than 40,000 people were buried here, in around 13 km of tunnels; different cubicula, little rooms with frescos representing Old and New Testament scenes, are still visible. In particular, it is possible to admire the "Madonna and Child" fresco, perhaps the world's oldest-known image of Mary, dated back to the 3rd century.
- Guided tour with an expert local guide
- Skip-the-line tickets
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Food and drinks
Free: 0-7 years old
In front of the Basilica of Saint Clement
- Access to the Catacombs and the Crypt of Capuchins is allowed only to visitors dressed appropriately: shoulders and knees must be covered
- It is not allowed to enter the Catacombs with trolleys, large suitcases and backpacks, umbrellas with a spike tip, glass bottles, knives, scissors and any tools that could be harmful to other people or damage works of art
Daily at 11.00am
Get on the City Sightseeing Open Bus at one of the many stops and explore the city at your own pace....
Enjoy one of the most important art collections in the world and the masterpieces inside St Peter’s ...
Walk through history on a guided visit to the Colosseum, the main symbol of the ancient Roman times,...
You have not truly seen Rome until you have experienced it at night! The monuments are completely tr...
With your children, discover the great accomplishments of the Ancient Roman Emperors at the Colosseu...
Season 2018/2019 - Minù presents DJs ARE NOT SUPERHEROES Humility is always the best record a DJ can...