Rome: Trastevere and Jewish Ghetto half-day tour
- Explore the Medieval streets of Trastevere
- See the ceiling paintings of the Church of the Gesu
- Look for Hebrew symbols on the Great Synagogue that memorialize victims of the concentration camps
- Learn the story of the Jewish Ghetto by the River Tiber
- Discover why Tiber Island became the city hospital
Travel back in time and explore the history of the Jewish Ghetto in Rome, in the charming Medieval enclave of Trastevere. Your guide will lead you down narrow alleys to get a feeling for this fascinating side of the city, which still retains its village feel and special character to this day.
It all starts with the legend of the Piazza del Gesu,' named after the 16th-century Church of Jesus. Look inside to marvel at the wonderful ceiling frescoes. Then, go to Piazza Mattei to see Taddeo Landini’s masterpiece Turtle Fountain (Fontana delle Tartarughe). Down an adjoining alley, you will find the colonnaded Portico d'Ottavia, built by Augustus in the name of his sister, Octavia Minor some time around 27 BC.
Next, admire the magnificent façade of the Great Synagogue of Rome, where Hebrew symbols memorialize those sent to the concentration camps in the 1940s. Walk over Fabricio Bridge to Tiber Island to see the site of the 3rd-century Temple of Aesculapius and learn how the island was used as the city’s hospital and center of healing.
Continue to Ponte Garibaldi for picturesque views over Tiber Island and the River Tiber, before ending at the Campo de' Fiori, once the liveliest and roughest Medieval and Renaissance square of Rome. A statue of the philosopher Giordano Bruno sits in the center, at the exact point where he was burned alive for suggesting that the earth moved around the sun.
- Headsets to hear your guide better (if needed)
- Pick-up and drop off
- Food and drinks
- Visit inside the synagogue
- Youth (18-25): reduced
- Child (7-17): reduced
- Infant (0-6): free of charge
Piazza del Gesù, Roma, RM, Italia
Meet your guide in front of the Gesù Church.
- Please note that this tour operates with a maximum 20 participants
- Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before
- The Synagogue will only be visited from the outside
- Please wear good walking shoes, and bring a coat and umbrella in case of rain (winter), or sun lotion, a sun shade, and drinking water (summer)
- Free cancellation is available 24 hours before the tour starts. Cancellations made less than 24 hours before the tour start time will not be refunded
- Tuesday, Friday, Sunday
- At 06.00pm
Enjoy one of the most important art collections in the world and the masterpieces inside St Peter’s ...
Walk through history on a guided visit to the Colosseum, the main symbol of the ancient Roman times,...
You have not truly seen Rome until you have experienced it at night! The monuments are completely tr...
Begin the tour in the city center; get your bikes, meet your professional guide and start riding aro...
Saturday 28 September 2019 Minù presents DREAMERS Apollonia Germano Ventura Dreaming is not a remedy...
Saturday 28 September 2019 Minù presents DREAMERS Lamache Jujet Dreaming is not a remedy, but the st...