The Jewish Catacomb of the old Appian way underground tour
- Discover the inscriptions and frescoes of Rome's Jewish Catacombs
- Learn about the burial traditions from an expert archaeologist
- Visit an ancient site in Rome that is normally closed to the public
Explore the Jewish Catacombs of Vigna Randanini in Rome, located along the rustic Appian Way. Get a unique perspective of ancient Rome on a 90-minute subterranean tour of a site normally closed to the public.
The Jewish Catacombs of Vigna Randanini were discovered in the 19th century on the Appian way. They are one of seven known complexes utilized for Jewish burials. Today, they are closed to the public and may only be visited with special permission.
These catacombs, like their Christian and pagan counterparts, are a series of underground burial galleries with tombs carved into the soft volcanic stone of the area. The deceases were interred in painted loculi, cubicula, and kokhim. The presence of these kokhim set them apart from Rome's pagan and Christian catacombs. They were deep chambers in which the deceases would be buried perpendicular to the wall. The openings were sealed with marble epitaphs. The Vigna Randanini present interesting inscriptions predominantly in Latin and Greek language.
- Archaeologically-literate guide
- Tips and gratuities
- Transportation from hotel
- Child (0-12): reduced
Via Appia Antica, 136, 00179 Roma RM, Italy
In front of St. Sebastian Catacomb (not inside)
- Going underground requires some physical fitness, although there is no difficult terrain. Please ensure that you are able to walk up and down some stairs.
- November-March: Monday and Friday at 11.00am
- April-October: Tuesday at 3.00pm; Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday at 11.00am
Enter the incredible mind of Leonardo da Vinci, a leading artist and intellectual of the Italian Ren...
Make the most of your tour of the Vatican Museums with a special visit to the Bramante Staircase, wh...
Take part in a virtual visit using special 3D viewers combined with a multilingual audio guide and r...
The most memorable, fun, and hands-on way to spend an evening, our Rome pasta-making class gives you...
Soak in the newly-opened and exclusive areas of the Colosseum with a small group and expert guide th...
Enjoy a unique night in the Eternal City: join a panoramic bus tour by Night of Rome and indulge in ...