Underground Rome tour to St. Clement's Basilica and Coelian Houses
- Visit St.Clement's Underground
- Enter the Roman Houses on the Celian Hills, under the Church of John and Paul
- Enjoy a guided tour with a small group, under 10 people
Hidden underneath Rome is a labyrinth of buildings, where you will walk down 50 feet underground to rediscover ancient Senator's houses, altars made for Oriental worships, gigantic warehouses, ancient shops, Medieval churches destroyed by brave invaders, subterranean water springs. The tour includes St.Clement's Underground and the Roman Houses on the Celian Hills.
You will meet your guide in front of the Church of St.Clement, a jewel of Medieval art built in the 12th century. After a short visit in the church, your guide will lead to the church that was built below and dates to the late Roman Empire. Wonderful old frescoes are still preserved on the wall, where this enchanting atmosphere will make you feel like you are living in another time.
Next, you will reach the second underground level, where you will appreciate the beauty of an Ancient Roman house almost 2000 years old with a temple dedicated to Mitra, one of the main Oriental gods that reached Rome in the antiquity with its misterious worship.
At the end of you walk (down to 50 feet underground!) you will walk through a gigantic Ancient Roman warehouse, in order to reach one of the most ancient water springs of the city of Rome.
- Professional guide
- Small group with a maximum of 10 people
- Entrance fees (18 euro per person total, Children under 12; 5 euro per peron total)
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Via Labicana, 95, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Piazza di S.Clemente in front of the church main entrance, a metal gate a few meters lower than the street level, accessible by stairs. Look for your guide in front of a newsstand holding a "Joy of Rome" sign.
- Please cover you shoulders and knees, you will be entering holy places
- Admission tickets are not included in the price of the tour and will be paid at arrival to the site
Saint Clement’s admission to the excavations:
- Adults €10,00
- Students under twenty-six years of age, with Student’s I.D. €5.00
Coelian Houses entrance fee:
- Adults € 8,00
- Children 12 to 18, persons over 65 years, and students €6,00
- Children under 12 are free
- This tour is not available on all the first Sundays of the month, On January 1st and 6th, May 1st, June 2nd, June 29th, November 1st, December 25th.
- Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 9.30am and 3.00pm
- Sundays at 2.30pm
Enter the Colosseum (just a quick security check) and start your tour. You can visit the ground leve...
The Jewish community was among the first to settle in Rome, almost 2000 years ago, in the heart of t...
Just few steps away from the Colosseum, you will find the Basilica of Saint Clement, a Roman Catholi...
A 2.5-hour tour for those who want to experience the treasures of Rome off the beaten path. You will...
Explore a secret, subterranean world beneath the streets of Rome on a 3-hour guided, walking tour. E...
Meet your guide near the Colosseum and follow them through more than 12 centuries of ancient Roman h...
Rome is not just ancient ruins and Baroque churches: the Eternal City has recently been experiencing...
Enjoy a full-day tour that combines visits to the two most famous places in Rome! On this 8-hour tou...
Walk in the footsteps of Roman emperors and citizens on a 3-hour tour of Ancient Rome, with VIP entr...
Enjoy Rome like never before during this unique Withlocals Originals private tour. All exclusively f...