Santa Maria della Scala tickets
- See a museum complex located just in front of the Duomo
- Enjoy a cultural experience that goes well beyond a classical museum visit
- Discover one of the first examples of hospitalization and hospital, born along the Via Francigena, for the reception of pilgrims
The Santa Maria della Scala complex is one of the oldest hospitals in Europe, now a museum. Built along the Via Francigena right in the heart of the city, opposite the Duomo of Siena, it once had the function of hosting and welcoming pilgrims and the most needy visitors.
In fact, this imposing structure occupies the entire slope of the hill in front of the Duomo with its mighty back façade facing the valley. Inside the Museum Complex there are churches, chapels and oratories, which bear witness to the medieval religiosity of this sacred place.
The museum complex changes through its various levels: on the ground floor you can admire the vestiges of the golden age of Santa Maria della Scala, when the structure gave hospitality and care to pilgrims traveling to Rome. Here you can admire the extraordinary Sala del Pellegrinaio, with fifteenth-century frescoes worked on by Domenico di Bartolo who depict the hospital's missions and the daily life of the time. On the third floor there is the Corticella, a portico in the heart of the complex, reached by a single internal road, where goods of all kinds arrived. In this courtyard there are rooms used today as display rooms, such as the XV century barn with elegant cross vaults.
In the ticket price you will also have included the audio guide, which you can use to immerse yourself in the history of the building and its works of art. There are three large floors to be discovered, in which temporary exhibitions are also set up.
- Entrance tickets with audio guide
- The ticket also gives access to temporary exhibitions
- Guided visit
Children aged 12 to 19, seniors over 65, university students not enrolled in Siena or military universities
Piazza del Duomo, 1, 53100 Siena SI
Santa Maria della Scala
- Tickets are valid every day
- Youngsters aged 12 to 19, over 65s, university students not enrolled in Siena or military universities are entitled to the reduced ticket
- Admission is free for children under 12 years of age. It is also free for residents of the municipality of Siena, accredited journalists, for public school students and for university group guides (1 per every 10 students) and disabled people with a caretaker. Free tickets can only be purchased at the on-site ticket office
- The reductions and gratuities are subject to the presentation at the ticket offices of documents and / or attestations proving the right of the applicant to a reduced ticket
Opening hours from 15 March to 15 October
- Every day except Friday from 10.00am to 7.00pm
- Friday from 10.00am to 10.00pm
Opening hours from 16 October to 14 March
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday from 10.00am to 5.00pm
- Friday from 10.00am to 8.00pm
- Saturday, Sunday from 10.00am to 7.00pm
- Tuesday CLOSED
Opening hours from 23 December to 6 January
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday from 10.00am to 7.00pm
- Friday from 10.00am to 10.00pm
- HOLIDAYS from 10.00am to 7.00pm
The beautiful city of Siena in Tuscany is where you find the great Cathedral of Siena, an impressive...
Brunello, presently considered the best wine in the world, has its ancestral roots in the passion of...
Experience the breathtaking beauty of the Tuscan countryside by vintage Fiat 500 on an 8-hour scenic...
Taste and enjoy a typical meal, in an authentic Tuscan style. It will be guided by one of the family...
Chianti is a vast territory between Florence and Siena in the heart of Tuscany. It’s a region known ...
This concert is in partnership with the Accademia Musicale Chigiana of Siena. The best students from...