Entrance ticket to Siena Cathedral and Piccolomini Library
- Discover the Cathedral of Siena
- Visit the Piccolomini Library with the decorations of Pinturicchio
- Only from August 18 to October 28 admire the uncovered Cathedral Floor
The beautiful city of Siena in Tuscany is where you find the great Cathedral of Siena, an impressive Roman-Gothic building of the 13th century. Find your tickets here and book tickets in advance to have immediate access to the various features of the cathedral that are to be explored. By booking online you can skip the lines and save your time in order to enjoy more thoroughly the beautiful structure of the powerful Siena Cathedral will strike you with awe.
This ticket will give you entrance to the Cathedral also during the time of the year that allows visitors to view the Uncovering of Siena's Cathedral floor and it also permits entrance to the Piccolomini Library. There is a good selection of things to see in the Cathedral, so you may want to do some research on what most interests you and buy your tickets accordingly.
The Cathedral and Uncovering of Floor
Though the Cathedral of Siena is full of incredible artifacts and works of art, one of the most precious and valuable features of this structure is the floor itself. Giorgio Vasari, the famous Italian artist and architect, declared that it is “the most beautiful…largest and most magnificent…that was ever made”. Designed and made between the 14th and 18th centuries it is composed of 56 panels made by famous local artists with the exception of Bernardino di Betto from Umbria. The painters’ designs were made into marble flooring thanks to the marble intarsia and graffito procedures that called for a great level of investment and precision. For the protection of the design and for the preservation of the art, the floor is only uncovered during a certain time of the year.
Found within the Cathedral the Piccolomini Library was created at the beginning of the 16th century, commissioned by the patron cardinal Francesco Tedeschini Piccolomini (nephew to Pope Pius II), and the artist from Umbria known as Pinturicchio, or Bernardino di Betto. The cathedral’s library is of great interest to visitors because of the artistic value of the decorations Pinturicchio provided. The painter and his workshop worked between 1503 and 1508 and quickly executed the frescoes that cover the library walls. One of the walls is occupied by windows while the remaining three seem to present a painted biography of Enea Silvio Piccolomini.
- Ticket admission to the Cathedral and Piccolomini Library
- From August 18 to October 28 access to the Cathedral floor (uncovering period)
- The voucher you will receive via email shall be presented at the Cathedral's box office n° 1 “fast pass”
- This year the Cathedral floor will be accessible from August 18 to October 28, 2019
- Please note that the Cathedral floor isn't accessible from October 9 to October 14, 2019
Cathedral and Library opening hours:
- 7 January - 28 February 10:30am - 05:30pm
- 1 November: 01:30pm – 05:30pm
- 2 November – 24 December: 10:30am – 05:30pm
- 26 December – 31 December: 10:30am – 06:00pm
- 1 January - 5 January: 10:30am - 06:00pm
- 6 January: 01.30pm - 5:30pm
- 7 January - 28 February: 10:30am - 05:30pm
- Cathedral during Festivities: 01:30pm – 05:30pm
Opening hours from 18th August to 28th October (Floor Uncovering Period):
- Monday to Saturday from 10.30am to 07.00pm
- Sunday from 09:30 am to 06:00pm
- October 13th from 09:30am to 04:30pm
The Cathedral of Siena has such a vast selection of things to see and appreciate, each with incredib...
Siena is a treasure trove of historical, artistic, religious and cultural riches all to be discovere...
The Santa Maria della Scala complex is one of the oldest hospitals in Europe, now a museum. Built al...
The beautiful city of Siena is famous not only for its picturesque and historical buildings and the ...
La Sinagoga di Siena, situata a pochi passi da piazza del Campo, venne progettata dall'architetto Za...
Brunello, presently considered the best wine in the world, has its ancestral roots in the passion of...
The magnificent Piccolomini palace, also known as the Pontifical, was commissioned by Enea Silvio Pi...
Experience the breathtaking beauty of the Tuscan countryside by vintage Fiat 500 on an 8-hour scenic...
Attend a private cooking class in the morning or in the afternoon, learn the secrets of the Sienese ...
Welcome to Palazzo Pitti! Choose to have a courtly experience with this group tour and discover the ...