Venice: Murano Glassblowing & Burano Lace-making Excursion
- Take your time to explore each islands, even shop for a souvenir
- Don't miss live demonstrations of glassblowing and lace making
- Hear mesmerizing stories by your expert English-speaking guide
- Discover the ancient Venice art of glass blowing
Get a glimpse of what Venice really used to be like. Escape the chaos of crowds of tourists and visit the island where a world-famous craft has been passed from generation to generation. This half-day trip will take you to see the timeless islands of Murano and Burano. These islands are known all over the world for the ancient art of glass blowing.
This tour will start at your meeting point in central Venice followed by a short and comfortable boat ride to Murano. There is a lot to see along the way. Your expert English-speaking guide will keep you entertained with a description of the sites as you pass them. Before you know it you will step off the boat and take your first steps on the beautiful and enchanting island of Murano. This small island is known all over the world for its beautiful art glass pieces. Once upon a time, Murano glassblowers were the only people in Europe who knew how to create a mirror. Their skills were so valued that they were banned from leaving the city of Venice under threat of execution. As laws and the city has changed since then, the craft has stayed the same. You will get a glimpse of this remarkable artistic skill at the tour’s first stop – a glassblower’s workshop.
Watch a craftsman in action as he goes about his daily business and listen to a description of the process as he works – what gives the glass its colour? How does silica sand become glass? What is the hardest part of this job? This is the best way to experience an authentic working studio and get all your curiosities answered of this mystical art. You will have time to browse the collection of glass art and wander the island on your own. Feel free to browse the shops and purchase a souvenir (with a special discount) if you find something you like.
Then it is back on the boat and off to your next destination, Burano. The tiny island of Burano is famous for two reasons. The first is for its colourful houses that are huddled tightly together along streets and canals. Legend has it that fishermen started this trend of painting their houses in bright shades so that they could see their home from a distance. Burano’s major claim to fame is the centuries-old tradition of lacemaking.
Your guide will take you through the streets of Burano to a small building where women today still work feverishly as they stitch lace with the same method used by their mothers and grandmothers before them. Listen to a full commentary on the age of sewing machines and how it has become a dying art. Take time to explore the fascinating lace samples on display. When Michelangelo visited Burano he bought an altarpiece for the brand new Duomo in Milan. You can take a leaf from his book and pick out your own keepsakes or spend your free time winding your way along the kaleidoscopic streets, sampling delicious cookies in local bakeries.
- Glassmaking demonstration at a factory in Murano with commentary in English or German
- Lacemaking demonstration at a shop in Burano with commentary in English or German
- Groups at the demonstrations of no larger than 35 people
- Discount at the glassblowing and lace-making shop where the demonstrations are given (10%+ depending on the item)
- Round-trip transportation by boat
- Entrance fees to the Burano Lace Museum
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Infant 0-1 years old: free (strollers or baby carriages are not allowed on this tour)
- Children 2-14: reduced
Riva degli Schiavoni, 4183, 30122 Venezia VE, Italy
At the statue of a man (Vittorio Emanuele II) on a horse in Riva degli Schiavoni (San Zaccaria vaporetto stop), in front of the lagoon.
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. We are also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages on our group tours.
- We recommend that customers who are not familiar with Venice give themselves ample time to find meeting points.
Operating days: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Meeting Time: 8.00am, 1.30pm, 2.15pm
Departure Time: 8.15am, 1.45pm, 2.30pm
Excursion to the Venetian Lagoon for the visit of islands famous for the handcrafts: Murano for the ...
A cruise in the Lagoon is a suggestive as well as enjoyable experience, a new and different way to s...
Embark on a gondola ride through the Grand Canal where you will see wondrous beauty and culture in e...
Experience an exclusive and romantic 30-minute private gondola ride on the canals of Venice. Discove...
The Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale) represented for centuries the seat of the Venetian political powe...
The gondola is one of the main symbols of Venice, as emblematic of the famous water city as mysterio...
Venice Shuttle is a fast shared boat service from Marco Polo Airport to Venice center and vice versa...
The Doge's Palace tourThe Palazzo Ducale represented for centuries the seat of the Venetian politica...
Visit the only Museum House in Venice where you can experience the artistic effervescence of the 50s...
During the summer season (April 1st - November 14th) on your small group Venice day tour of the Dolo...