Valle Salado guided visit and salt tasting
- Visit one of the most spectacular and best preserved cultural landscapes in Europe
- Get to know one of the earliest methods of salt production
- Enjoy the special features of a privileged natural and patrimonial environment
The salt valley in the Alavese locality of Añana is currently one of the most spectacular and best preserved cultural landscapes in Europe. Its value lies not only in its unique architecture or in its more than 1,200 years of documented history, not even in its geological characteristics, its biodiversity or in its prized landscapes, but in the union in perfect harmony of all this in a privileged context.
In the oldest town in Alava, and in what were waters of a vast sea 200 million years ago, stands the Salt Valley of Salinas de Añana. A magnificent outdoor cultural landscape (monument) formed over more than 5,000 eras: platforms on which the brine, saltwater, is poured to obtain salt through solar evaporation. A unique and extensive network of wooden channels distribute the water to the most remote corners of the Salt Valley.
As well as being able to take a trip through history and the stunning architecture of this extraordinary cultural landscape, visitors can dip their hands and feet in brine, and learn firsthand the rudiments of the ancient craft of the salt workers. They may also observe the special features of the privileged natural, patrimonial environment. It must be borne in mind that the Salt Valley is located on one of the most curious phenomena of geology, the Diapir, and that the salinity of the environment makes its ecosystem unique.
Let us not forget that Salinas de Añana is much more than its salt factory, because as well as being the gateway to Valdegovía, it has amongst its heritage important archaeological remains from the Middle Ages that are being examined and recovered; with ironworks, forges and furnaces in a perfect state of preservation; with a church, several chapels and the last working convent which is home to the Military Order of St. John of Jerusalem; including various palaces and even next to the locality there is a major archaeological site with animal tracks and vegetation from about twenty-two million years ago.
- SALT VALLEY TOUR (1h): in this tour the guide explains the history, the salt architecture, how and why salt is produced in the valley and the recovering project held by our foundation.
- SALT VALLEY TOUR + TASTING (1.5h): an hour tour and half hour of salt tasting.
- SALT VALLEY TOUR + SPRINGS (1.5h): most of the visit is similar to Valle Salado tour, but this includes the ascent to the springs and a more detailed explanation.
- Guided salt valley tour
- Salt tasting (depending on tour options)
- Transportation (upon request)
- Children under 12 years old
- GPS Coordenates: 42.800496, -2.983462
- If there are people in wheelchair there is an adapted tour which would take also an hour, but the tour would be a wooden platform so as to be easier for them to move inside the valley. Unfortunately, the adapted tour is only possible for the Salt Valley tour + tasting
- Don't forget to bring a hat, protection cream and sunglasses
- Comfortable shoes are recommended
- Pets are not allowed
- Group size: min. 2 people; max. 20 people
- Guided visits in Basque language are also available
SALT VALLEY TOUR:
- From 16 October to 31 March: 11.00 am
- From 1 April to 15 October
- Monday to Friday: 10.00am, 10.15am, 11.00am, 11.30am, 11.45am, 1.00pm, 1.15pm, 4.00pm, 4.30pm and 6.00pm
- Saturdays and Sundays: every 30 min from 10.00am to 6.00pm
SALT VALLEY TOUR + TASTING:
- All the year round: 12.30pm
SALT VALLEY TOUR + SPRINGS:
- From 16 October to 31 March: 3.45pm (minimum of 4 people required)
- From 1 April to 15 October: 5.30pm
Cuando el sol se oculta, de entre las sombras emerge una nueva Vitoria, plagada de secretos, viejos ...
Enjoy an incredible wine day tour in La Rioja Alavesa, famous wine area from Basque Country where th...
INPUT pres MICHAEL KLEIN Percussive and rhythmic grooves are what defines the unique sound of Michae...
Viernes 28 de Sept. en Goya Social Club Line Up: Sparrow & Barbossa, Georgeous, Kyodai 00:30H - 01:3...
Le Parc Aquatique Aquópolis, situé le long de la côte Daurada, entre Vila Seca et La Pineda, enchant...
Attention, il s'agit d'un billet nominatif à échanger, une pièce d'identité vous sera demandée lors ...