- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Hotel pickup included
- Visit the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway
This private day trip from York provides the opportunity to explore Bronte Country and the Yorkshire Dales National Park, including the West Yorkshire Pennine Village of Haworth (made famous by the Bronte sisters and home to the Bronte Parsonage Museum), Bingley Five Rise Locks (the most spectacular feature of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal), the traditional Yorkshire Dales village of Linton (with its stone bridges and limestone falls), Bolton Abbey (where you will see the stunning setting of the ruins of the 12th Century Augustinian Monastery) and the option to travel by steam train on the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway.
You will be picked up at 9.00am from your choice of location in York and will head off to Bronte Country in the West Yorkshire Pennines. The first stop is at the Bingley Five Rise Locks where you will see the highest Staircase Lock in the UK, a spectacular feat of engineering constructed in 1774 as part of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. You will then arrive in Haworth, on the edge of the rugged Pennine Moors, where the Bronte family lived from 1820 and the sisters wrote their famous novels, for a two hour stopover lunchtime.You can visit the Bronte Parsonage Museum and the Bronte Memorial Chapel in the nearby Church where their father preached, or just explore the quaint shops on the cobbled main street and have a leisurely lunch in one of the traditional cafes.
On leaving Haworth, you will head up Penistone Hill for a photo stop to admire the moorland views towards Top Withens, where the Bronte sisters walked to gain inspiration, before travelling north into Wharfedale in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The next stop is at nearby Bolton Abbey, where entry is free and you will have time to explore the Priory Church and ruins of the 12th Century Augustinian Priory in its beautiful riverside setting, or maybe take the stepping stones challenge if you are feeling more adventurous! After leaving Bolton Abbey, you will visit the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway (as seen on “Great Railway Journeys” with Michael Portillo), where you will have the option to take a steam train ride through the picturesque Yorkshire Dales scenery between Bolton Abbey and Embsay Stations at a special discounted rate of £5 for adults/£2.50 for children (paid in cash on the day and no need to pre-book).
- Private tour just for your group
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by comfortable, air-conditioned minicoach
- Driver/guide provides live commentary
- Regular photo/refreshment/toilet stops
- Entrance fees to optional attractions
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 4 years
- Children under 4 years can be accepted on private tours, on the condition that the customer brings a suitable Child Car Seat with them
- Collapsible wheelchairs can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Adverse weather/road conditions, particularly during the winter months, may result in the route and itinerary having to be changed on the day
During this full-day tour of the Yorkshire Dales you will travel aboard a private coach with a profe...
Set in the 1960’s, Heartbeat proved a hit with audiences all over the world for nearly two decades. ...
Tick off Bronte Country and the Yorkshire Dales National Park and its surrounding highlights on a fu...
Discover the rugged beauty of rural north England on this 8-hour North York Moors and Whitby day tri...
This Private Day Trip from York provides the opportunity to explore Bronte Country and the Yorkshire...
Take a day out from York on your own private tour to explore the North York Moors National Park and ...