Alternative Budapest tour
- Enjoy an introduction to Budapest’s expanding alternative culture
- Let your guide take you around the city and explore districts rarely visited by tourists
- Visit a local artist’s gallery and learn about Budapest’s street art and graffiti scene
The tour starts in the center of the city but quickly moves away from the main tourist hangouts and stumbles into Budapest’s Jewish district, where Budapest’s alternative culture is really kicking off. Just like East Berlin after the fall of the wall, Budapest’s uncared districts are fast becoming the places to be.
The tour covers a wide variety themes and topics – from Budapest’s graffiti and street art culture to current politics, relevant history and personal stories, to fashion, design, architecture and the local music scene. Each tour route is different depending on what is happening in the city, but you’ll visit a mixture of arts and culture centres, abandoned synagogues, independent galleries, community spaces, music venues, theatres, and make a stop for a coffee or beer in an art and coffee collective or a ruin bar that became a community centre. Visit also a bike workshop and an analogue photography gallery.
As the group size is limited to only 15 people, (but generally smaller), the tour is guaranteed to have a very personal feel and you’ll get to know your guide and other tour participants throughout your exploration of Budapest.
All of the guides are fully qualified and active in various areas of the alternative creative scene in Budapest. You’ll end the tour in a great venue where you’ll be able to pick the brain of your guide for info on great places to check out during your stay in Budapest (both mainstream/historical and more off-the-beaten-track).
Due to the nature of the tour and the places you visit, the tour is subject to change at any time without warning. Any changes will be made in the best interests of the guest, ensuring that you will be shown the freshest developments in this ever-growing scene. Respect towards the venues and communities that are part of the tour is expected, and therefore good behavior from all guests is essential.
- English speaking guide
- Many stops for photos and questions
- Public transport tickets during the tour
- Entry fees to sights and museums
- Transport to the meeting point
- Infants ages 0-2 : free of charge
- Children ages 3-12: special price
- Students ages 13-26: reduced price (requires valid student ID)
Meet your guide in front of the Lutheran Church (pale yellow), on the church steps (1052 Budapest, Deak Ferenc ter 4).
- Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 3,5 hours
- Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately
- Supplier is not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents
- Tour operates on various days, please check the calendar for details
- Tour operates on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday at 3.00pm
- From 1 April to 31 October you can also take the tour on Wednesday and Friday at 3.00pm
Written and raved about in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal and other major newspapers, this tour t...
See many of the famous attractions in Budapest on a comfortable river cruise, sipping a tasty glass ...
Discover the sights in Budapest with a professional tour guide. Visit the city’s main sights on both...
“Paris of the East” is one of the most famous sentences used when describing Budapest at night. The ...
Take two hours to explore the Buda side of Budapest! Walk around the Castle District with the direct...
Enjoy an authentic experience in one of Budapest’s world famous thermal SPAs!Since its construction ...
The oldest part of Budapest, Castle Hill, is yours to explore on this walking tour! The area has nar...
Have an up-close look at the most important icon of Budapest before embarking on a drink cruise acro...
Get on the culinary side of Budapest have an up-close look at the most important icon of the city be...
Enjoy the sights of Budapest from a different perspective on board a Segway. Explore the leafy lanes...