Cradle of Humankind half day tour
- Admire Mrs. Ples & Little Foot, a skeleton of a second species of Australopithecus
- Bring the whole family - everyone will love it
- You'll become so familiar with the city that it'll start to feel like home
- More than a tour - your guide will share their love of art history with you
- Unique experience - definitely something to write home about
At just about an hour's drive from Johannesburg and Pretoria, the Cradle of Humankind is a must-see for all archaeology lovers and anyone curious about the history of mankind. You will get to see the caves that are world-famous for the fossils that were discovered there. A well-informative, amazing discovery and experience not to be missed!
1) Mrs. Ples & Little Foot
In 1947 a scientist found the almost complete skull of an adult female and initially named the skull Plesianthropus transvaalensis (near-man from Transvaal), but it became better known by its nickname, Mrs. Ples. In 1997, a near complete skeleton of a second species of Australopithecus was found in the caves. The skeleton was named Little Foot, since the first parts found (in 1995, in storage) were the bones of a foot.
2) The Caves
Sterkfontein (Afrikaans for Strong Spring) is a set of limestone caves of special interest to paleo-anthropologists located in Gauteng province, about 40 km (23 miles) Northwest of Johannesburg. Sterkfontein is a South African National Heritage Site and was also declared a World Heritage Site in 1999 and the area in which it is situated, was named the Cradle of Humankind.
3) The new scientific exhibition
The new scientific exhibition showcases a reconstruction of a mined cave – formations and geology, early life forms, mammals and hominid fossils, among other topics. It describes in detail important finds, as well as providing information about fossilisation, palaeobotany and landscapes.
- Registered tour guide
- Transport in an air-conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fee to the Cradle of Humankind
- Food and Drinks
- Infant (0-1): free of charge
- In case of non-presentation on the tours, full cancellation fees will apply
- You can cancel until 24 hours before your tours to get a full refund
- Important: Please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator. You will find the contact information in the voucher after booking
- All tours are subject to minimum 2 of passengers
- All our vehicles are insured substantially for passenger liability
- Luggage and personal possessions are carried at your own risk
- Please ensure that valuables and travel documents are kept safe at all time
- Departure: 08:00am
- Return: 12:00pm
- Depart: 01:00pm
- Return: 05:00pm
Come and discover the awe-inspiring beauty and serenity of the Pilanesberg National Park. You will e...
You get a pick-up from your hotel to start this interesting and exciting this Pretoria, Johannesburg...
The cradle of human kind is one of the eighth south African Heritage ,is the worlds richest hominin ...
Home to the Rainbow Nation, this fast-paced city combines the best of the new South Africa with the ...
Spend the morning exploring Johannesburg and taking in the highlights, including, the Westcliffe vie...
If you want to see as much of Johannesburg as possible in one go, then hop on the red open-top buses...