Tickets and guided tour of the Catacombs of San Gennaro
- Discover one of the most fascinating attractions in Naples
- Travel back in time and discover the most important catacombs in southern Italy
- Descend into the heart of Capodimonte Hill and admire the frescoes and mosaics of the first Christians tombs
- Take part in the recovery and enhancement project of a whole area of Naples
The Catacombs of San Gennaro are located on two non-overlapping levels, both characterized by extremely large spaces (6,000 square meters in all), unlike the most famous Roman catacombs. This is thanks to the workability and strength of the Neapolitan yellow turf.
The artistic heritage preserved in the catacombs spans from pagan elements of the 2nd century AD to Byzantine paintings of the 4th and 5th centuries AD. The original nucleus of the Catacombs of San Gennaro dates back to the 2nd century AD. It probably refers to the tomb of a noble family who then donated the space to the Christian community.
The expansion began in the 4th century AD, following the deposition of the remains of St. Agrippinus, first patron saint of Naples, in the underground basilica dedicated to him. Wide spaces and regular shapes silently greet the visitor in a timeless place. The imposing lower vestibule, with ceilings up to 6 meters high, houses a large baptismal font commissioned by Bishop Paul II, who in the eighth century took refuge in the Catacombs of San Gennaro during the iconoclastic crisis. One of the most impressive areas is the vestibule of the upper catacomb; it was decorated at the beginning of the third century in the so-called Pompeian style and holds the first Christian paintings of southern Italy.
Perhaps the most valuable area is the Crypt of the Bishops, which houses precious mosaics of the fifth century, including one representing San Quodvultdeus, Bishop of Carthage.
- Guided tour of the Catacombs and Basilica di San Gennaro (duration 1 hour)
- With the same ticket you can also visit for free the Catacombs of San Gaudioso and the Basilica of St. Mary of Health
- Discount for entry to the cloister of Santa Chiara
- Reduced entry fee: kids (6-18), students with university ID and people over 65
- Free entry: Children (0-5)
Via Capodimonte, 6, 80136 Napoli NA, Italy
Entrance next to the Buon Consiglio Basilica.
- We remind you that the ticket office will open at 9.30am
- The guided tour to the Catacombs is available both in English and Italian
- The entrance visitors in wheelchairs is in Vicoletto S. Gennaro dei Poveri, 22 (open only by appointment)
- From Monday to Saturday, every hour, from 10.00am to 5.00pm (last entrance at 5.00pm)
- Sunday from 10.00am to 2.00pm (last entrance at 2.00pm)
Join this panoramic visit of Naples (without guide): drive along the seafront of the Gulf and enjoy ...
Discover the pearls of this breathtaking coast. Enjoy your time as you see the historic center, the ...
Make an authentic neapolitan pizza during this 1.5 hour cooking class!Under the watchful eye of a pr...
Explore the Amalfi Coast with a knowledgeable driver aboard a comfortable Mercedes. You’ll depart fr...
Exploring a city as beautiful, vibrant and chaotic as Naples is not an easy task: if you want to dis...
17.11 Domenica ore 17.00 Break present Chris Liebing Known for his prominence on Frankfurt's dance m...