New Orleans Garden District Tour: Private Mansion, Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 & Local Praline Maker
- Take a behind-the-scenes tour of a working praline-makers shop and taste a freshly-made praline
- Hop on a New Orleans streetcar for a ride down historic St. Charles Avenue
- Visit the atmospheric Lafayette Cemetery No. 1, and learn what makes New Orleans Cemeteries among the most unique in the United States
Immerse yourself in the opulence of the Old South of this tour of New Orleans’ prettiest neighborhood with an expert local guide and a small group of no more than 20 people. Your historic Garden District tour begins on a sweet note with a behind-the-scenes visit to an old praline-makers shop. You’ll learn how New Orleans’ most famous confection was brought to the city from Europe and taste one hot out of the copper pots. Next, you’ll hop onto a street car with all-inclusive tickets and zip down St. Charles Ave. en route to the Garden District. This area of grand mansions and wide, tree-lined streets is home to some of the best-preserved, pre-Civil-War mansions in America as well as a slew of celebrity homes. Your guide will introduce you to the history of the area as you see the grand mansions built by wealthy plantation-owners and now owned by famous people like Beyonce and Sandra Bullock. Along the way, you’ll stop off at one of America’s most unique graveyards, Lafayette Cemetery No. 1, to see famous family-plots and spooky old mausoleums. You’ll also learn about the practical difficulties of running a cemetery below sea level. For the highlight of the tour, you’ll step inside the Elms Mansion, a 150-year old Italianate home that is one of the most impressive in the City. As you tour the opulent rooms, you’ll learn about the businessmen and plantation owners who built these stately residences and the wealthy world that they created in New Orleans before the Civil War. Your tour ends in the Mansion’s beautiful garden with an ice cold glass of lemonade or sweet tea in the shade of the largest magnolia tree in the South
- Tickets to the Elms Mansion with complimentary drink
- Streetcar tickets
- Additional food and drink purchases
- Hotel Pick-Up / Drop-Off
- Infants up to 1 years are free of charge
801 Magazine St, New Orleans, LA 70130, United States
This tour will meet outside of Auction House Market on Magazine Street in the Warehouse District. If walking from the French Quarter, walk straight down St Charles Ave from Canal, take a left on Julia. Auction House Market is on your right. Approximate walking time is 11 minutes. If taking the St. Charles Ave streetcar from Canal towards Carrollton (green cars), exit at Julia Street and take a left towards Magazine Street.
- Due to the uneven sidewalks, exposed tree roots, and aged cemeteries, the tour is NOT wheelchair and stroller accessible
- The walking portion of the tour is outdoors rain or shine, so please dress appropriately. Ponchos are recommended for rain while umbrellas are recommended for shade. The Garden District neighborhood experiences light flooding during the summer season so rain boots are also recommended
- From 01 April 2019 to 31 October 2019 Every Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays
Take an eye-opening look into American history and visit 2 out of 3 prominent plantation homes along...
Experience the timeless beauty of South Louisiana in a custom built swamp boat. Native guides will r...
Enjoy a 5-hour tour combining a visit to a River Road plantation and a cruise through the swamps of ...
On the grounds of Oak Alley, enjoy a sumptuous Plantation Country Brunch featuring Crawfish Etouffee...
The City of New Orleans Riverboat will carry you in style down the Mississippi past the site of the ...
With The Sightseeing FLEX Pass, you select the number of attractions you would like to see and then ...