The Royal Jewelry Museum, is one of the largest museums in all of Egypt. Filled with fantastic art and jewelry handed from Egyptian royalty such as Mohammed Ali. The museum is a valuable piece of heritage in both artistic and historical terms. The history of the museum starts in 1919, when it was originally the palace of Princess Fatima Al-Zahraa Haidar, of the Egyptian royal family, daughter of Lady Zeinab Fahmy and Prince Prince Ali Heidar Shanassy. Amongst some of the museums roughly 11,000 pieces of fine jewelry include royal badges with King Farouk's name, inlaid with diamonds, and the magnificent jewelry collection of Farouk's wife, Queen Farida.
Other parts of King Farouk's collection are his ebony walking stick, gold and sapphire cups embedded with over 200 bits of sapphire and 29 pieces of diamond, and golden magnifying glasses inlaid with 510 diamonds and 16 rubies and sapphires. Seeing these extravagant items in person would be truly unforgettable!The Museum underwent a 5 year renovation and was once again open to the public in 2010. It currently runs for the entire week from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.