The Outlander, Palaces & Jacobites experience from Edinburgh
- Visit Linlithgow Palace, Culross Palace and Blackness Castle
- See Hopetoun House and Midhope Tower
- Make the most of a full day exploring the sets of the famous TV series: Outlander
- Enjoy return transportation from Edinburgh in a luxury mini coach
Departing from Edinburgh, this tour travels north-west, venturing to Midhope Castle, also known as Outlander's 'Lallybroch Castle'. Here, you will pause for some photos and soak in the atmospheric surroundings before you journey onwards.
The tour will continue to Blackness Castle*, the Headquarters of Outlander's Black Jack Randall, on the shores of the Firth of Forth. This castle dates back to the 15th Century as is home to the Crichton family. Its mighty fortifications make this ancient castle look like a 'ship that never sailed'. Spend time here exploring its magnificent walls and enjoy breathtaking views over the Firth of Forth.
You will then journey on to the Royal Burgh of Linlithgow, where you will have the opportunity to visit Linlithgow Palace*, Outlander's 'Wentworth Prison'. The palace was originally used as a relaxing retreat for the Royal Family on journeys between Edinburgh and Stirling Castle. Its impressive towers overlook stunning scenery.
After Linlithgow Palace, you will travel to the country home of Callendar House. The house, now a museum, dates back to the 14th Century and has ties to the Antonine Wall; Rome's northern frontier in Europe. Visit the famous kitchen, which was the set of the Duke of Sandringham's kitchen in Outlander and enjoy its beautiful surroundings.
From Callendar House, you will travel to the Royal Burgh of Culross. This small village nestled on the coast of Fife, Culross is arguably the best example of a 17th Century village in Scotland. The gardens here feature in Claire's herb garden, and the Mercat Cross in Outlanders' Cranesmuir Village. Here, you will have free time to explore the village and its cobbled streets and quaint Biscuit Café, before stopping for photos at the Tuilyies Standing Stones (time permitting).
You will then travel to Hopetoun House*. This grand stately home dates back to the 17th Century and is set in a beautiful country estate, surrounded by a deer park and nature trails. It also served as the setting for the home of Outlander's Duke of Sandringham, and a magnificent home it is! You may choose to tour the House, or explore its grounds, before you head back to Edinburgh, where the tour will ends.
*This tour does not include entry fees to these sites
- Knowledgeable Driver-Guide
- Luxury air-conditioned coach
- Entrance to the sites, museums
- Food and beverages
- Senior (60+)
- Student (must have a valid id)
- Children (5-16)
521-523 Lawnmarket, Edinburgh, EH1 2PE.
Your tour departs from outside the green Ensign Ewart pub
- This tour does not accept children under the age of 5
- As we like to give you as much time off the coach as possible, and you have the opportunity for walks, we recommend you bring warm and/or waterproof clothing, wear comfortable shoes, and take a sun-block or a hat for sunny days
- Please note that Blackness Castle will be closed from: 4th-17th of September.
- Linlithgow Palace will be closed from: 27th August - 1st September and 10th - 17th September.
- During these closures, more time will be allocated to other attractions. Blackness and Linlithgow will still be visited
- This tour runs every Friday and Sunday, from April to September
- This tour departs at 8.30am from meeting point
- Please arrive at least 15mins before the departure of the tour for check-in
Enjoy roundtrip transportation to the famous Royal Braemar Highland Gathering and receive guaranteed...
This tour is all about Fife, and to get there you will cross the Firth of Forth - the perfect chance...
Once you leave Edinburgh, your driver will take you through Scotland's bustling central belt to see ...
Edinburgh, 1745. The Jacobite rising has reached the city gates, and Bonnie Prince Charlie is met by...
Explore the haunted Blair Street Underground Vaults with access no other tour company can offer, the...
Discover the story of Scotland through its capital city and the National Museum. You will see the pl...