- Explore the Sassi di Matera, UNESCO World Heritage Site and European Capital of Culture 2019
- See the unique scenery which has enchanted so many directors
- Wonder at the beauty and mystery of ancient cave houses and churches
Explore beautiful Matera, the “Subterranean City,” on foot during a 2-hour private walking tour. Discover the frescoes, rock-cut dwellings and churches that make this city unique.
Meet your expert tour guide in the Piazzetta Pascoli and enjoy fantastic views of the the whole of Matera, the ancient city overlooked by the Cathedral bell-tower and the Sasso Caveoso. Marvel at this remarkable spectacle of urban development frequently utilized by great directors such as Pasolini and Mel Gibson. View the Palazzo Lanfranchi, which houses the Museum of modern and medieval art of Basilicata, and the other buildings of the Baroque District.
Then go into the heart of the Sasso Caveoso and view the unique and beautiful cave buildings which have been inhabited since Palaeolithic times. Visit the church of San Pietro Caveoso whose Baroque facade belies a much older history. To really connect with the regions ancient inhabitants enjoy the unique experience of a visit to a furnished cave-house (casagrotta) decorated according to ancient traditions.
You will be enchanted by the beauty of the splendid frescoes of one of the most interesting cave-churches in the whole area, the Church of St. Lucia alle Malve, before your return to Piazzetta Pascoli.
- Guidance and assistance for the entire duration of the tour
- Tickets for a rupestrian church with frescoes and a typically furnished casagrotta
Piazza Pascoli Giovanni, 1, 75100 Matera MT
Meet your guide at Piazzetta Pascoli, in front of the large "Goccia" bronze sculpture. The guide will meet you holding a sign with your name.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended
- In the summer sunglasses, sunscreen are recommended
- Activity level: moderate
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Daily, every hour from 10.00am to 4.00pm
Lecce, the Baroque masterpiece of southern Italy, described as the "Florence of the Baroque" or the ...
Ostuni, a typical village in the province of Brindisi located on the foothills of the Murge plateau,...
Il popolo materano è stanco dei continui soprusi perpetrati a suo danno dal Conte Giancarlo Tramonta...
Il prossimo mese è previsto il matrimonio di Caterina, figlia della contessa Beatrice, ma questa not...
All'alba di questa mattina è stata annunciata la morte del signor Lambicco, ricco feudatario di Bern...
Book this 2.5 hours private walking tour to discover the most important part of the Sassi of Matera,...