Swamp tour and Destrehan Plantation tour
- Destrehan Plantation tour lead by costumed guides
- Oldest plantation home in the lower Mississippi Valley (1787)
- Learn more about the site of the 1811 slave revolt
- Swamp boat tour in the wetlands of Louisiana with alligator sightings
Enjoy a 5-hour tour combining a visit to a River Road plantation and a cruise through the swamps of south Louisiana with professional guides.
On this tour you will:
- visit the Destrehan Plantation, established in 1787, the oldest documented French Colonial style house in the lower Mississippi Valley
- tour this majestic antebellum plantation home which watches over the banks of the Mississippi River, only a few minutes upriver from New Orleans
- learn more about the history of the Destrehan family’s sugar dynasty, historic events that occurred at this site, and the unique architectural features of the plantation
- see costumed artisans who will give you an insight to long-forgotten skills that were a vital part of everyday life centuries ago
- ride to the Manchac Swamp where you will cruise through a privately-owned wildlife refuge, home to the legend of “Rougarou”, the Cajun werewolf
- maybe not find the “Rougarou”, but you’ll get up close and personal with some alligators in an area where time seems to stand still
- ... and more!
- Guided tour of the Destrehan Plantation
- Guided swamp cruise
- Admission fees
- Roundtrip transportation to and from New Orleans
- Food and beverages are available at the swamp (cost is not included in tour price)
- Children (ages 0-5): free
- Children (ages 6-12): reduced
600 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA
- Gray Line Light House on the Steamboat NATCHEZ dock (Toulouse Street at the Mississippi River) Toulouse Street at the Mississippi River
- You must be able to climb stairs
- Plantation House is handicap accessible by elevator
- No video is allowed inside the plantation home
- Tour vehicles are equipped for wheelchair storage. Please submit any special requests at least 48 hours in advance of your reservations
- Children under 5 are complimentary
- A minimum of 10 participants are required for this tour to operate
This tour is available daily:
- from March 1 to October 31, 2016 at 1:30pm
- from November 1 to December 31, 2016 at 11:30am
- All tours and cruises depart from the Lighthouse Ticket Office at Toulouse St. and the Mississippi River.
- You will find the Gray Line offices directly behind the JAX Brewery, which is located at 600 Decatur St. The ticket office is directly in front of the Steamboat Natchez
Take an eye-opening look into American history and visit 2 out of 3 prominent plantation homes along...
Experience the timeless beauty of South Louisiana in a custom built swamp boat. Native guides will r...
On the grounds of Oak Alley, enjoy a sumptuous Plantation Country Brunch featuring Crawfish Etouffee...
Hop on "Santa's bus” for a narrated tour to New Orleans’ City Park, one of the ten largest urban par...
Let the good times roll year round with a Mardi Gras themed jazz brunch cruise down the mighty Missi...
The City of New Orleans Riverboat will carry you in style down the Mississippi past the site of the ...