Crypts and catacombs with ghost and mystery walking tour
- Visit the famous Capuchin 'Bone Chapel' an underground chapel
- Step back in time at Basilica San Clemente
- Explore ancient tunnels and Artwork at the 2nd century Catacombs of Rome
- Enjoy tales you won't hear on other tours about funeral rites, murders, mystery, and executions that took place through the centuries
This tour will take you underground, exploring the insolit part of history of Rome, up to the core of this ancient city.
We will start with a tour at the Crypts and Catacombs. This extensive network of tunnels snaking beneath the city dates all the way back to the 2nd century AD. They were once both a burial ground and a hiding place for the first Christians in Rome. Established in the days when Nero was famed for torturing Christians, the tunnels became a place for refuge as much as for burials and celebrations.
Then, we will visit the Basilica San Clemente, a site that is not often included in tourists' paths. Your guide will begin with the tale of a priest who thought he heard running water inside the basilica. Several years and a sledgehammer later, he and his brothers had mined through the floor of the 12th century basilica, a 5th century church, and a 4th century cult temple. Underneath it all, they finally found an original 1st century Roman street and the ancient aqueduct that had tormented the priest. You will go through this story with your guide through spaces that have been opened now to reveal these incredible layers of history.
We end this part of our tour on a high note, with a visit to the Capuchin Crypt – known locally as the ‘Bone Chapel’. It was here that the Capuchin monks have used the bones of 4,000 of their brothers to decorate the walls and ceilings. In this scenario we can only ask ourselves: is this art or moribidity? Either way this is something you will never forget.
At this point we will have some free time to enjoy a late lunch, dinner or appetizer or go for a stroll in the historical center of Rome, experiencing the city at sunset.
As darkness sets in over Rome, a different city comes to light – a city of legends and mystery, where thousands of years of history left a story behind every stone.
Having gone through the Middle Ages and the Inquisition, Rome has many stories to tell that are far from the average bedtime tale. Your knowledgeable English-speaking story tellers, will guide you to Tiber and wander across piazzas, listening to unknown stories of murders, executions, and betrayals.
You will see the house of the most notorious murderer ever to work in the Eternal City and visit the bridge that, according to the legend, is haunted by the ghost of the female Pope.
For an hour and a half, your guide will take you back in time to a city that burned heretics like spit roasted pigs and cured its crime problems by hanging pictures of the Virgin Mary on every corner.
Guided tours of Crypts & Catacombs and Dark Heart of Rome last respectively 3.5hrs and 1.5hrs, with a break in between. No transfer is provided.
- Tours as per description
- Expert, English-speaking guide
- Small groups of 20 people or less
- Tickets for the Catacombs of Rome, Basilica San Clemente and The Capuchin "Bone Chapel"
- All transfers in an air-conditioned coach ( Only for Crypts & Catacombs Tour)
- Guided storytelling tour of Rome's historic center
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Transfers between two tours
- Child 2-14 years old: reduced
- Infants 0-1: free
Via della Purificazione, 8, 00187 Roma RM, Italy
Crypts and Catacombs: In the center of Piazza Barberini, by the large Triton (Tritone) fountain. Piazza Barberini is located at the metro stop Barberini on metro line A (red line).
Dark Heart of Rome: On the steps of the church San Andrea della Valle. Clients must arrive at least 15 minutes before departure.
Further details about the meeting point will be provided once the tour has been purchased.
- The Dark Heart of Rome walking tour ends around 9:30PM/10:45PM (depending on the season) at Castel Sant’Angelo from where public transport and taxis are easily accessible.
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended.
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or mobility impairments on our tours. We regret that we are unable to accommodate pushchairs or strollers on our tours.
- Entrance into churches requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. The tour operator cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress.
- Operating Days: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Meeting Time: 02.15pm
- Departure Time: 02.30pm
Become one of the first people ever to explore the Roman Catacombs after normal closing hours when y...
When the sun sets on Rome, another part of the city comes to life... an older and more mysterious Ro...
This tour is the first of its kind! An original Crypts & Catacombs tour that will take you to explor...
For Dan Brown fans - but not only - this guided tour is designed to help you learn about the secrets...
Visit the ruins of Pompeii in the iconic city of Naples in one day from Rome. We’ll take you from Ro...
Your tour starts in the middle of it all, as your friendly guide will be waiting for you right outsi...
This tour begins at the Spanish steps, next the Barcaccia fountain in the middle of the Square, from...
Experience a different point of view over a city suspended between history and legend. Hop on your r...
Discover the masterpieces of Rome on this tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter'...
On this 3-hour skip-the-line tour your expert guide will take you inside the majestic Colosseum, tel...