- Exclusive after-hours access to the Catacombs of Priscilla
- Privileged access with no other visitors for a more intimate experience
- Visit the Capuchin 'Bone Chapel': a spectacular chapel hidden and decorated with the bones of some 4,000 monks
This unforgettable tour of the crypts and catacombs that lay under the modern city of Rome offers exclusive after-hours access to the Catacombs of Priscilla, taking you deeper into the unusual history of Rome. Visit the concealed side of this ancient city with an itinerary combining two of the most uncommon, mysterious and outlandish sights the Eternal City has to offer.
You'll begin with the impressive Capuchin Crypt – known locally as the ‘Bone Chapel’. Here, Capuchin monks used the bones of nearly 4,000 of their brothers to decorate the walls and ceilings in intricate designs. You’ll see a real skull and crossbones, vertebrae chandeliers and full skeletons in their robes before drawing your own conclusions on the meaning of this macabre, yet intriguing place of prayer. The museum annex is also home to Caravaggio's masterpiece 'St. Francis in Meditation'.
After a short transfer by air-conditioned bus, you'll begin your visit to the ancient Catacombs of Priscilla. Here, you'll have the privilege of experiencing the Catacombs when their doors are closed to the general public.
Dating back almost 2,000 years to the 2nd century AD, this extensive network of tunnels snaking underground was once both a burial ground and a place of worship for the first Christians in Rome. With an expert, English-speaking guide on hand, you’ll explore these extensive tunnels lined with tombs carved right out of the rock, and hear the fascinating history of these sacred places.
- Entrance tickets to the Capuchin Crypt and Museum
- Exclusive after-hours access to the catacombs of Priscilla
- All transfers in an air-conditioned coach bus
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Child (2-14 years old): reduced
- Infants (0-1 years old): free
Piazza Barberini, 13, 00187 Roma RM, Italy
In the center of Piazza Barberini, by the large Triton (Tritone) fountain. Piazza Barberini is located at the metro stop “Barberini” on metro line A (red line)
- This service ends at Piazza Barberini around 7:30pm
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, hills, and stairs; comfortable shoes are recommended
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. We are also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages on our group tours
- Entrance into churches requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. City Wonders cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress
- Your City Wonders coordinators will be wearing blue City Wonders polo shirts or jackets to be easily recognizable at the meeting point
- Rome is one of the most visited cities in the world, making certain sites extremely busy in high season. Careful planning limits our exposure to crowds, but please be aware that some locations may be unavoidably busy during standard hours
- City Wonders reserves the right to refuse participation on its tours to any guest under the influence of drugs or alcohol or to any guest whose behavior is disorderly or poses a threat to other guests or City Wonders staff
Monday, Thursday, Saturday
- Meeting Time: 4:45pm
- Departure Time: 5:00pm
Discover the masterpieces of Rome on this tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter'...
Admirez le coucher du soleil sur les toits de Rome et profitez de l'atmosphère romantique de la vill...
Roma, la città eterna tra arte, storia e cultura. Tradizione di benessere basata sul concetto di spa...
Discover the most famous amphitheater in the world and relive the glorious past of Ancient Rome with...
Begin your tour with a visit to one of the oldest churches in Rome, dedicated to Theotokos (Mother o...
Esplora il mercato locale e le storiche botteghe alimentari romane ed acquista i migliori ingredient...