Lake Tahoe winter adventure tour
- Enjoy 3 days of exploring, skiing or snowboarding the winter playgrounds of the Sierra Nevada mountain range
- Get to know Lake Tahoe, one of the largest, deepest and bluest alpine lakes in the world
- Hike with an experienced guide in the Desolation Wilderness or the Tahoe National Forest District or cozy up in California's largest ski area
You choose your adventure on this flexible, small group winter escape from the city. You'll have the chance to ski multiple days at one of the largest snow sport resorts in all of California– Heavenly Mountain Resort. Not into skiing or snowboarding? No worries! The guides know how to serve up flexibility by the mountain-load! They’ll take you on scenic tours of the region and visit famous viewpoints like Emerald Bay and Kings Beach, or offer other winter activities like snowshoeing, cross-country skiing or snowmobiling.
There's also the opportunity to hit the casinos and roll the dice in South Tahoe if you're feeling lucky!
Day 1 - San Francisco to South Lake Tahoe/Heavenly Mountain Resort
1.00pm: Pick up from San Francisco Hilton Hotel (Mason Street entrance) Buckle up! After departing San Francisco, you’ll head through California’s capital city, Sacramento, through the Sierra foothills and into the famous Gold Rush Country, cresting a high mountain pass within the Sierra Nevada. Then you’ll wind your way through large pine forests, before dramatically descending into South Lake Tahoe.
In the evening, settle into your centrally located hotel and then head out to happy hour with the Apres Ski crowd at the base of Heavenly Mountain Resort before a comfy night’s rest.
Day 2 - South Lake Tahoe: Choose Your Adventure
All day: While masses of people are piling into their cars to head to the mountains for the day, you’ll be on the first lift up to carve the groomers, or to get fresh tracks in that Heavenly powder! Don’t worry if you’re not really into skiing, guides will offer the opportunity to go out on a fabulously scenic drive on the mountain roads surrounding Lake Tahoe, or maybe even a snowshoe adventure! If you’re really just here for the casinos, they’re open 24 hours, and you’re welcome to see if Lady Luck is on your side all day! Don’t want to miss out on any of it? No problem, it’s flexible: guides know their stuff and they’ll help you fit in a scenic drive in the morning, get yourself a half day ticket on the mountain, and then hit the casinos all night long!
Day 3 - South Lake Tahoe San Francisco, CA
Hit the slopes in the morning for skiing or more sightseeing around South Lake Tahoe. Around 2.30pm head back down the pass toward the city by the bay. Sit back and relax or take a nap while you’re driven back through the beautiful foothills of California. There’s a final stop in an old Gold Rush town, as well as driving through the state capital, Sacramento. After crossing the iconic Bay Bridge, you’ll be dropped off in San Francisco around 9.00pm for some much needed rest before heading back out to catch some more of your favorite sights around the city.
**Sample Itineraries: Please note that due to rapidly-changing conditions beyond control (weather, crowds, traffic) and the small size of vehicles/groups, guides have the flexibility to adjust your itinerary to best suit the group’s needs. While it’s guaranteed guides will do their best to provide you with all of the highlights within this Lake Tahoe Winter Adventure Tour itinerary (conditions permitting), they don’t guarantee them in this specific order. *
- Complimentary pick up/drop off from the San Francisco Hilton hotel (Mason St. entrance)
- See Lake Tahoe, the Sierra Mountain Range, Emerald Bay, Heavenly Mountain Resort, and more
- Narrated guided tour by a full-time professional, knowledgeable guide
- Hotel accommodations (double occupancy same-sex or couple share, single occ supplement applies for single bookings)
- Transportation throughout tour in biofuel mini-coach
- Meals (stops will be made to purchase food)
- Transport for large gear
- Optional activity entrance fees (Ski Resort access, Lift tickets, Lessons, etc)
- Gear Rental (Ski/Snowboards, Snow Shoes, Winter Clothing/Boots/Goggles/etc)
- Single supplement for private room for 1 person
- Guide gratuity (optional)
Please arrive 15 minutes at your pickup location before your scheduled pickup time at selected hotel.
- Hotel pickup confirmation required for this tour. You must call at least 24 hours prior to departure to set exact pickup time and location
- Each passenger may bring one soft-sided overnight bag or regular-sized day pack with them on the vehicle. The under-seat storage space will accept ~13.5″x12″x11″ if the item is hard-sided; slightly larger if it is soft-sided
- If you must bring more/larger luggage, please be aware that you’ll need to pay for a seat on the vehicle to store it during your trip
- No luggage or gear may be placed in the aisle
- Most hotels in San Francisco will store your larger luggage after check-out or before check-in (some charge a fee for this service*)
- All Season:
- Camera and charger
- Small day pack
- Change of clothes for 3 days
- Swimwear, towel
- Sun protection, hat
- Water bottle
- Warm layers (evenings can be cooler)
- For Partaking in Snow Sports:
- Hiking boots or durable sneakers (preferably Gortex or waterproof)
- Warm layers (long underwear & wool fleece suggested)
- Waterproof jacket/pants for winter conditions
- Gloves, wool socks and a hat (75% of your body heat is lost through your hands, head, and feet)
- Ski/Snowboard Gear (not provided)
- Fridays with approximate departure at 1.00pm
How can a Muir Woods tour be better? Combine it with a Sonoma Wine Country tour! Experience this per...
Trying to get the best value for your time and money in San Francisco? This package lets you to see ...
This is the best way to get the most out of wine tasting and enjoy the splendor of the Sonoma Wine C...
A wonderful experience for first-time visitors to San Francisco! You'll discover the breathtaking vi...
On this self-guided tour, friendly staff will provide you with a map and detailed route suggestions ...
Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco offers an irresistible food tour in the cultural hotspot of Chi...