Legendary Venice: St Mark's Basilica, Terrace and Doge's Palace
- Admire 4,000 square meters of mosaics in St. Mark's while you hear the improbable story of its construction
- Admire the mosaics in St. Mark's and see the infamous Bridge of Sighs
- Get special access to the terraces of St. Mark's Basilica with spectacular views over Venice.
- Enjoy skip-the-line access to the Doge's Palace.
- Visit the Doge's apartments, the Hall of the Great Council, the Armory, and the New prisons in the Doge's Palace.
- Enjoy an intimate group of 25 people or fewer led by an expert, local Venetian guide
We start in the world-famous St. Mark’s Square, taking a moment to appreciate the space before diving into St. Mark’s Cathedral. Here you will get a deep look at the way that Venice built a mercantile empire that once spanned the entire Mediterranean. As you gape at the mosaics and other treasures inside, your expert Venetian guide will explain how the city begged, borrowed, and yes, stole, almost all of them as it grew from a tiny island to one of the biggest powers in the Medieval world. You’ll also get special access to the first floor terrace where you can see the famous horses stolen from Constantinople during the Fourth Crusade as well as amazing views over St Mark’s Square and the city.
Next it’s off to the Doge’s Palace, where pre-reserved tickets once again get us past the lines and inside what was the political heart of the empire for hundreds of years. Here you’ll visit the Doge’s own opulent apartments and the Hall of the Great Council where matters of state were decided under beautiful frescoes by Veronese and Tintoretto, You’ll also see the armory and the New Prisons, where you’ll learn about the grim lives of anyone unlucky enough to be taken prisoner. You’ll also find out the secret behind the mysterious black veil that interrupts the official series of Doge’s portraits. Hint: it will make you not want to work in Venetian government.
Finally, you’ll wander over the Bridge of Sighs and learn why this romantic icon is a little more grim than you have probably been taught.
Venice is a beautiful city but it doesn’t really come to life until you have an expert, local Venetian guide to show you around and tell you the stories that take you deep into the history and lore of the city. In a small group of no more than 25 people you will have intimate access to your guide and be able to ask them all the questions you want about improbable history of one of the world’s most unique cities.
- St. Mark's Basilica
- St. Mark’s Square
- Terrace of St. Mark’s Basilica
- The Horses of St. Mark
- Doge’s Palace (general access rooms)
- New Prisons
- Bridge of Sighs
- Venice walking tour including local Venetian guide
- Tickets to St. Mark's Basilica
- Special access to the terraces of St. Mark's Basilica
- Skip the line access tickets at the Doge's Palace
- Small groups of 25 people or fewer
- Headsets when necessary
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Infants (ages 0-1): free (no reservation required)
- Children (ages 2-14): reduced price
Piazza San Marco, 328, 30124 Venezia VE, Italy
- Meeting point is outside the entrance of the Correr Museum on Piazza San Marco, 30124
- Meeting point directions: on St.Mark's square at the opposite side of the Basilica you will find the Correr Museum entrance underneath the portico.
- The terrace of St. Mark's Basilica, the prisons and the armory of the Doge's Palace are not wheelchair-accessible, as a result of which we cannot accommodate wheelchairs on this tour.
- St. Mark's Basilica can be subject to unforeseen closures due to particular liturgical celebrations. In the case in which the basilica is closed, we will give you explanations from the outside.
- This tour runs rain or shine. However, occasionally St. Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace are closed to the public, without previous notice, due to high tides or particular festivities. In these cases we endeavor to contact customers as soon as possible to arrange a suitable alternative.
- Morning Tour: 9:00 am (meet strictly 8:45 am)
- Afternoon Tour: 2:00 pm (meet strictly at 1:45 pm)
The Doge's Palace tourThe Palazzo Ducale represented for centuries the seat of the Venetian politica...
Experience an exclusive and romantic 30-minute private gondola ride on the canals of Venice. Discove...
Verona is one of the most romantic cities in Italy, and not only because Shakespeare drew on its his...
Excursion to the Venetian Lagoon for the visit of islands famous for the handcrafts: Murano for the ...
The gondola is one of the main symbols of Venice, as emblematic of the famous water city as mysterio...
Escape the crowds, visiting the top sights of Venice from the water. Tour the Grand Canal by luxury ...
The first highlight of the walking tour is St. Mark’s square, with the description of the majestic S...
Take a walk outdoors (no entries) through the most characteristic and important places for the histo...
Enjoy a gondola ride through the canals of Venice and a romantic dinner in a typical Venetian restau...
Enjoy an unusual private tour of Venice, a tour in which you'll not only explore the city and learn ...