- Learn in-depth communist history of Hungary
- Hear facts about the recent history that put Hungary on the political map: 1956 Revolution, WWI-II, 19th century overview
- Visit a unique exhibition of how life was back then, and see how people lived under the big brother
Written and raved about in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal and other major newspapers, this tour takes you on a journey back to the times about how life was like in Hungary during the 50 years of communism.
You will hear a summary of how it all started, how big brother was the one telling what to do and what not to do. You’ll learn about how life was like behind the iron curtain. How children were brought up, how families lived, how and where people traveled, how long it took to get a passport and many other interesting experiences from black markets to banana lines.
Also included on the tour is a visit to a private exhibition room, where you will be introduced to the real features of a Hungarian home through relics to typical furniture and furnishings. Furthermore we have an extensive collection of many communist related artifacts and relics, such as red and blue passports, party member’s registration book, pins, medals, currency and huge placards to help your understanding of the propaganda once surrounding the Hungarians.
Along the tour you’ll get an idea of the last 200 years of contemporary Hungarian history. Hungary's past is filled with victories, failures and struggles. We lead you through these eventful times through the sights depicting the historical outcome and how it shaped Hungary today.
One of the highlighted themes of the tour is the 1956 revolution and the number of events that led to it, such as the War of Independence, Great Compromise, WWI and WWII, that gave huge significance to the meaning behind the Hungarian quest for freedom. Some of the stops during the tour will be about the Liberty Square and the Parliament area.
Let your guide tell you how the 1956 Uprising was a short lived battle on the streets, but silently in their minds, many Hungarians plotted their flight from communism and finally laid to rest the memories through the reburial of Imre Nagy, leading to free elections and a return to a free society.
The tour is organized in small groups that generally do not have more than 15 participants, making the tour interactive and personal and giving you plenty of chances to ask questions and get to know your guide.
- English speaking guide
- Visit to a private exhibition room
- Many stops for photos and questions
- Entry fees to sights and museums
- Transport to the meeting point
- Children ages: 3-12 reduced price
- Infants ages 0-2: free
- Students ages 13-26: reduced price with a valid student ID
Budapest, Lázár u. 16, 1065 Hungary
Meet your guide at Absolute Tour Center. Address: 1065 Budapest, Lázár utca 16. (just behind the Opera House).
- Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking for up to 3 hours
- Important notice: Visiting the exhibition room requires the ability to climb one storey of stairs (with handrail)
- Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately. Supplier is not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents
- Tour operates daily at 2.30pm
Una volta arrivato in Ungheria, avrai voglia di provare la gastronomia tradizionale del posto, quind...
Il tour inizia nel centro della città, ma si allontana rapidamente dai principali luoghi di ritrovo ...
Ottieni una panoramica storica del quartiere del Castello di Buda, con una passeggiata privata attra...
Porta la festa sul fiume e balla sulla nave Party Ship! Unisciti a questa opportunità unica per dive...
Il tour ciclistico originale e più famoso di Budapest è un modo innovativo, divertente, facile e ril...
Segui le orme della famosa imperatrice Sissi ed esplora il Palazzo Reale di Gödöllő, ex residenza es...
Visita l'illuminata 'Parigi dell'Est' e trascorri una serata indimenticabile in un ristorante tradiz...
Non c'è modo migliore per esplorare le bellezze di Budapest di una crociera sul Danubio con una bibi...
Essendo la città con la più grande comunità ebraica attiva dell'Europa centrale, Budapest ha molto d...
Visita il bellissimo centro di Budapest con un tour interattivo in un piccolo gruppo che ti offre mo...