Home Cooked Istanbul
- Enjoy a meal with a local family in Istanbul and learn about their culture
- Take a stroll through Sultanahmet
- Discover the secrets of the locals' favorite games and pastimes
- Enjoy the national beverage - a traditional tea
Try Turkish life with a family meal and an evening mingling with locals at some of their favorite places on this Istanbul food tour. An expert local guide will meet you at the meeting point, from which you'll wander through the streets of historical Sultanahmet en route to meet a local family.
Turkish people’s sense of hospitality is world famous, and on this tour, you'll have the opportunity to experience it first hand. Meet the family and settle in for a typical Turkish meal. There is a little bit of English spoken in the household, but your bilingual guide will be there to help translate. Chat informally with all members of the family and hear what it's like to live in Turkey today. Sharing a meal with a local family is a great privilege and an opportunity to get real insight into local family life.
After feasting on delicious Istanbul food, it’s time to take a stroll through the backstreets. Get your camera ready on this Istanbul walking tour for the picturesque wooden houses that line the streets in various states of repair. Get a sense of the communal style of life in Istanbul and learn about the various socio-economic groups that live here. Then, head to a popular local hangout to enjoy fabulous views of the Marmara Sea. Find a comfortable spot to watch games of pop-up football or strike up conversation with the locals. There will definitely be many games of backgammon being played, and if you don’t know the rules, your local guide will give you the lowdown.
Afterwards, you will have the chance to try two of Turkey’s favorite pastimes - tea drinking and Narglie (waterpipe) smoking. Sit back, relax and enjoy. At the end of the adventure, you are free to return to your hotel or continue your own personal exploration of Istanbul. Your guide will be able to suggest some more local hidden gems for you to explore!
- Local English-speaking guide
- Dinner and drinks with a local family
- Narglie waterpipe
- Extra drinks at the teahouse
- Tips or gratuities for your local guide
- Сhildren 5 years of age and under: free
- Children 6 to 11 years of age: reduced
Pudding Shop Lale Restaurant Divanyolu Caddesi No. 6, 34400, Sultanahmet
The restaurant is located on the street where the tram lines run through Sultanahmet, approximately a 3-minute walk from the Sultanahmet tram stop.
- Please be aware that the standard of dress through out Turkey is conservative. To respect this and for your own comfort we recommend modest clothing. This means clothing that covers your shoulders and knees for both women and men. Turkish people do not wear shoes within the home so we suggest easy slip on shoes be worn.
- Following recent safety incidents, we recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on traveling in Turkey before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page.
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays at 6.00pm
Take a half day morning tour of Istanbul. The tour will bring you through the "Sultan Ahmet Center",...
Enjoy this special Bosphorus Tour on the bus and on a private boat. Discover the magic of Istanbul a...
This afternoon tour will bring you on a Bosphorus Cruise on a private boat. You'll ride through the ...
Get the most out of Istanbul in the company of an expert local guide. As you tour Istanbul, your gui...
Cruise on a private boat to see the Bosphorus, one of the most beautiful sights in the world and exp...
Marvel at the majestic architecture of the Hagia Sophia as you’re guided through its beautiful inter...