The Enigma of Otranto and the Holy Grail
- Joint a real treasure hunt
- Visit the castle and the church and identify further clues
- Enjoy the workshop of a mosaic craftsman
- Have a nice walk at the seafront of Otranto and taste a local ice cream
In 1952, the Archbishop of Calabria has charged Imma, who was known for her studies of medieval mysteries, to establish an international commission to finally reveal the famous Enigma of Otranto (Enigma di Otranto). The challenge is daring because it is not just about finding and detaching from the stucco the biggest mosaic from Medieval Europe buried in the Cathedral of Saint Annunciation (Cattedrale di Santa Annunziata). The commission formed by international archaeologists, experts on legends and esotericism, has also the difficult task to succeed in revealing the most hidden iconographic meaning of the Tree of life (L’Albero Della Vita). It is depicted on the ancient mosaic, and, according to legend, seems to be rooted in the myth of the Holy Grail.
You will join a real hunt of the cultural treasure through the most secret passages of Medieval Otranto, between the Church of Saint Peter (Chiesa di San Pietro), the Castle and the Cathedral of S. Annunciation (Cattedrale di S. Annunziata). Between challenges and hints, you will have to reconstruct the map of the ancient mosaic and reveal its most profound meaning, inside an authentic intertwining of myths and legends. It will not be easy: after much wandering you would reach the sight of this incredible and unique medieval work only if you will know how to overcome the test of the local master. At the end, you will find yourself in the deep mystery, only with the Holy Grail.
- Animation of the Artès operator
- A cultural treasure hunt with a licensed tour guide
- Admission and visit to the Castle, the Church of Saint Peter if possible during the treasure hunt
- Visit of the Cathedral of Saint Annunziata (Cattedrale di SS. Annunziata)
- Laboratory to realise a small mosaic under the guidance of a mosaic craftsman
- A walk on the seafront of Otranto with tasting of local ice-cream
- Everything that is not clearly included
- Infant (0-2): free
Piazza Castello, 8, 73028 Otranto LE, Italy
Antico Bar Castello
- Children under 12, if participating, must be accompanied by at least one parent for the entire duration of the experience
Thursday at 3.30pm
The tour starts having a panoramic view of the main attractions of the old town such the charming Sa...
Otranto is the "Gateway to the East", the easternmost point of Italy, overlooking the strait that be...
Ostuni, a typical village in the province of Brindisi located on the foothills of the Murge plateau,...
Take a full day tour of Southern Italy to experience the region’s food, wine and landscape. You’ll v...
From the Messapic and Roman era to the great period of the Lecce Baroque, a walk through the histori...
We'll go up the Idro valley along a pleasant dirt patch and we'll see St. Mauro Crypt, which was car...