Self-guided panoramic ride to Mount Pilatus
- Enjoy mountain experience at 2132 meters above sea level
- Enjoy breathtaking 360° view over the Lake Lucerne and the Swiss Alps
- Enjoy a local meal in the restaurant Bellevue or Pilatus Kulm
Mount Pilatus is located near Lucerne and can be reached by a panoramic cable car from Kriens or by the world's steepest cogwheel railway from Alpnachstad (operating only from May till November). Enjoy the 30 minutes ride with the panoramic cable car from Kriens to Fräkmüntegg, where you can raise your adrenaline during the visit of the biggest rope park of Central Switzerland (suitable for visitors from 4 years old). In winter there are sledding routes going down to Krienseregg and Kriens.
At Fräkmüntegg you will change into the new cableway Dragon Ride and reach in 4 minutes the Pilatus Kulm at 2132 meters above sea level. At the top of the Lucerne home mountain, you can enjoy the great panoramic view over the Swiss mountains and the Lake Lucerne. In few minutes you can also reach one of the three peaks at Pilatus Kulm (Esel, Oberhaupt or Tomlishorn) and enjoy your walk in the Swiss mountains or on Dragon Gallery route. Pilatus is also called Dragon mountain because of the legends about a dragon living there.
You can choose to begin your journey from Alpnachstad, and travel by the world's steepest cogwheel railway for 30-40 minutes. You can also experience the cogwheel railway on your way down, even if you started your journey from Kriens.
At Krienseregg (at the middle station of the panoramic cable car), at Fräkmüntegg and at Pilatus Kulm you can try some specialties in one of the restaurants. Even Queen Victoria stayed at the Pilatus mountain and one of the restaurants at Pilatus Kulm is named after her.
For exact timetables please click HERE
- Cable car between Kriens and Fräkmüntegg
- Cableway between Fräkmütegg and Pilatus Kulm
- Journey by the world's steepest cogwheel railway between Alpnachstad and Pilatus Kulm
- Personal expenses
- Transport from Lucerne to Kriens
- Rope park entry or sledding rental
- Children aged (6-15): reduced
Schlossweg 1, 6010 Kriens, Switzerland
Please redeem your voucher at the cable car station in Kriens (Schlossweg 1, 6010 Kriens) or at the cogwheel railway station (Brünigstrasse 2, 6053 Alpnachstad) in Alpnachstad (from May till November). After that, you can board the cable car at Pilatus-Bahnen station in Kriens or the cogwheel train in Alpnachstad.
- Maximum of 9 people per booking
- Please note that this is a self-guided tour
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Your ticket is valid for a round trip from Kriens or Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm and back
- You can choose to start your journey in Kriens or from 15 May until 17 November 2019 in Alpnachstad
- You can choose to go up and down on the same side or finish the journey on a different side of the mountain
- Travel from Kriens to Pilatus Kulm includes 30 minutes on the panoramic gondola and 4 minutes on the new cableway Dragon Ride
- Journey from Alpnachstad the ascent by cogwheel railway from Alpnachstad takes 30 minutes (the descent to Alpnachstad 40 minutes)
- Available daily
- You can see the timetable here
- Make sure you don't miss the last ride down!
- The gondolas and aerial cableway are closed for maintenance from 21 October to 8 November 2019. During this time, access will only be available from Alpnachstad
- Cogwheel railway is closed from 18 November 2019, to mid-May 2020. During this time, access will only be available from Kriens
Take a full-day excursion to the center of the Alps, the idyllic Bernese Oberland. Located at the fo...
Mount Pilatus – the Golden Round Trip has it all! Enjoy on this afternoon excursion the ascent by di...
Visit Bern, the capital of Switzerland! This tour follows the scenic route of the Grand Tour of Swit...
Walk to the bike rental station after meeting your guide, Ralf, where after some practice and explan...
As the tour starts you hear the fire horn followed by the invocation pray. The Nightwatchman introdu...
Start from the lobby of your hotel, the Nightwatchman (a guide dressed in medieval attire) introduce...