Today, a memorable day of historical sightseeing awaits you. You will be picked up from the hotel and driven to the Gateway of India, one of the most prominent landmarks of Mumbai. From here, you will board a ferry to an island, which is home to the world-famous Elephanta Caves. The ride takes around one hour and after reaching the island, you will have to climb around 120 steps to reach the caves. This UNESCO World Heritage site is an intriguing labyrinth of rock-cut cave temples dating back to AD 450 to 750. The main temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and has a 6-meter tall statue depicting him as the creator, preserver, and destroyer of the universe (Trimurti). Other notable carvings are those of the dancing Shiva (Nataraja) avatar as well as the half man-half woman avatar (Ardhanariswara). The tour will end with a drop at the hotel.
Tracing history at the Elephanta caves
- See the most prominent landmark of Mumbai, Gateway of India
- Visit the world-famous Elephanta Cave
- Enjoy a ferry ride as part of the tour
- Air-conditioned transport
- English speaking local guide
- Monument entrance fee
- Child (6-11 years)
Pick-up from your hotel in Mumbai. The pick-up is only from city hotels (within 10km) and if guests wish to be picked up in the outskirts there will be a supplement to be paid on site.
During booking, you will be asked to provide your pick-up address. Please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator whose contact information can be found in the voucher after booking.
- Children below 6 years old are not allowed to join this tour
- Comfortable clothing is suggested
- Bring your own water bottle, sunglasses, and caps
- Please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with our local partner. You can find their contact information in the voucher after booking
- Daily except Mondays and from 15 May until 15 August
- Pick-up starts from 8.30am